Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build: need advice, criticism, guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First build: need advice, criticism, guidance

A couple of years ago when my oil pump went out and killed the engine in my T/A (wife was driving at the time, didn't realize anything was wrong), I had a shop rebuild the engine as a 383 w/ ported heads, etc. That was a tough bill to swallow, considering they also did the installation work.

Now I've picked up a '71 C10 and I want to go with a more modern engine setup than the ancient SBC 350 that's in it, primarily for fuel economy, but 300-350 rwhp would be nice as well. For budget reasons, I'm thinking that building an engine myself (or simply finding a low mileage long block, depending on the performance I'd actually get vs. $$) is going to be the best way to go. For whatever it's worth, the truck currently has a TH350 transmission and I plan to keep that for now.

As this is my first build, what resources should I have on-hand before I start assembling anything (books, specialty tools, etc.)? My current thought is to start with a lower mileage 5.3 long block and add an inexpensive set of heads, something like the 806 or 853 heads that can be picked up complete and relatively low mileage for under $200. From there I was thinking I'd pick up either stock LS1 or truck intake/tb/fuel injector setup and just have a cam custom-spec'd by Pat G. For simplicity I was thinking I'd actually "splurge" on a custom harness for this purpose, and go with a mail-order tune to start off.

Advice/criticism on where I could spending my money more wisely? I know next to nothing about stock GM head castings (besides 806 = bad, 243 = good, can't mix cathedral/square port intake/heads), so any guidance on best bang-for-the-buck there would be appreciated as well. I'm reading as much as I can but want to have a specific plan for going forward before I just start dropping money again.

edit: just to avoid receiving duplicate information, I have been reading up on the numbered cylinder heads here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-details.html

New questions:
Other than noise, is there any down side to using a timing gear set vs. chain setup?

Last edited by kacivic; 03-22-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, i meant to say 5.3L short block above, but it seems that for the cost of having ls1 heads worked to get them back even with truck heads that I'd be better served getting a 6.0L short block and building it. Seems that even using an LQ4 bottom end I could use the smaller chambered LS1 heads to bring compression up and come out about equal on cost, with a little better performance potential.

Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are on the right track with the 5.3. It will be very much cost effective and can easily meet your 350hp goal.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

yea dont know how TX is But I know in Fl a lq swap can be about 800 with all the harnesses and a fully dressed motor
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say just get a 5.3, install it, get it running, and then you can mod it later....
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

So far I've found a complete 4.8L swap (harness, fueling components, computer) for 475 and a guy with a 5.3L intake-to-oil pan for 275. After reading around on here a little bit I'm kind of leaning toward sticking with a carb setup with an MSD 6010 for ignition control just so I can minimize fuel system upgrades.

Either way though, if I'm building a 4.8L/5.3L setup and sticking with GM heads, I need to either be using truck heads or will need to deck the heads to reduce chamber volume for the 5.7 or bigger heads, correct? If I end up going aftermarket it seems like less of an issue as most are available in increments between 62cc and 72cc.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look for a 5.3 with 243 heads for a good street engine.if you find a 5.3 with low miles ,you could just leave the heads on .comp cams 54-455-11 is a good torque cam,or look at a Texas Speed 220r cam .springs can be swapped with the heads on the engine.you can get most 5.3 heads for $50 .get a dual plane intake if you go with the elderbrock kit,it has ignition and intake for $600.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

I'm getting the dual plane manifold and msd 6010 separately. The edelbrock branded msd ignition module doesn't appear to be programmable the same way the 6010 is, and it's only going to be like $550 total to get the separately.

For now I will likely stick with a complete 5.3 setup rather than assembling just to get the truck going quickly, but do plan at least a cam swap while it's out.

New question, other than noise, is there any down side to using a timing gear set vs. chain setup?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

For now, since it looks like I won't be getting any more "internal" than a cam swap, I'll take my questions to the external engine & carb'd forum sections. Thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Guess I'll just re-use this thread since I did end up picking up a "complete" 5.3 that's in pieces. Short block is together, valves and springs are in heads, but otherwise parts are all in boxes. Looks like the stock cam is toast as it was left to sit dry and has significant surface rust on all the bearing surfaces.

So, here's my starting point:

low mileage 5.3L bottom end
706 heads

I need to figure out first what I'm going to do for a cam. I'm leaning toward something like Tick's SNS TorqueMax LS2 stage 2 (based on their recommendation for a 5.3). Figured I'd get a new timing chain and high volume oil pump with their cam installation kit, just so I'm not tracking down parts from different places.

Head gaskets I am clueless on. I've been looking at the Fel-Pro MLS, but the only ones for the 5.3 that I've seen so far are .051" compressed. Does that sound about right, or are there better head gaskets to use?

Quick Reply: First build: need advice, criticism, guidance