Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 trans am stroker 8k miles o oil psi

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 trans am stroker 8k miles o oil psi

I think I have a big problem!!!! My car sat for about 5 weeks. I took it out for about a 20 min drive no problems. Went to work and on the way home yesterday, after some hard driving... I came to a stop sign, stopped, and went to drive on. Punched it and noticed that my oil psi went from ~50 to 0. Babied it home about a mile. Checked it out this afternoon it set for a while. Started it up and it is running smooth. I assumed the sending unit went bad. Removed the oil cap and shined a flashlight into the valve cover and saw NO oil squirting. The motor is a built stroker 8k miles on it. K-1 stroker crank stock bore 4’’ stroke
eagle rods stock length
mahle forged pistons
all machine work done by P&M performance
comp cam 242/244 .610/.612 (polluter)
slp heads, that’s all I know about them
Futral hardened push rods
high pressure high flow ported oil pump (slp)
fast 92 with 102 TB
pace setter long tubes
rollmaster double roller timing set

Is it common for the slp oil pump to fail? Is this the problem?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the O ring on the pick-up tube that connects to the bottom of the oil pump
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

A friend of mine said that too, he said to put a few quarts of oil in to bring the level up past just to see if it registers. If psi comes then the pickup is the problem. Is the oil pan a pita to remove?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RabidStreetRacer
Could be the O ring on the pick-up tube that connects to the bottom of the oil pump
I know I could be wrong but...Having built an LS1....I can tell you the O-ring doesn't just "go bad". If you didn't install it right, it would have had crappy to no pressure from day one! Oil pumps don't just "go bad" either, but could be a possibility an issue with the spring inside it.

Consider the events leading up to the pressure loss....I think you have a more serious issue.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just removed my oil pan yesterday because of this same issue. I was thinking the pickup tube gasket got pinched when I installed it and it broke off after driving it. Not the case. Some how some of the rubber parts on my oil pan gasket broke lose and clogged up the pickup tube.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost an engine when a glob of rtv worked its way to the barbell and blocked oil flow
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I luckily had the oil pressure drop to 0 just after doing a small burn out on my street. I pulled right in my driveway shut her down. I'm not sure how the pressure went to 0 though. Guess I will take apart the oil pump on mine.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nowhere did you mention checking the actual oil level on the dipstick or running a check using a manual gauge...
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Procrastanation or just lazy, but I still havent done anyhting yet. The oil level is correct as per the dipstick. I am hoping it is a blockage. I will be working on it tomorrow! I will gook up a mechanical gauge first as it will be the easiest to check. I am prepared to pull the pan and check things hopefully finding the problem!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

got some work done today. Hooked external oil psi gauge reads zero, quickly shut off motor. Went to drain oil and when I removed the drain plug I found this... What is it?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Looks like a rocker arm needle bearing. I'm guessing you don't have the trunion upgrade that replaces the stock rocker bearings? I'd pull off the valve covers and find which rocker let go. Hopefully they didn't cause serious damage...but with 0 oil pressure I'm thinking you weren't so lucky.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

LOL I just got done reading the sticky on the trunion upgrade. I am trying to think about the least expensive to go about fixing this. I imagine there is garbage in the oil pump. The bearings are making NO noise but the rockers or lifters were noisy. I might get away with the trunion upgrade and a new oil pump.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Wow that stinks . hope you can dalvage the bottom end. keep us posted..
Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

yea me 2! I must have a messed up screen on the pickup for the oil pump to suck up a bearing. Is there any other pin that is hardend steel that looks chromed about 1/16" wide in the motor, or is that definately a rocker bearing?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Only other pin I could think of would be the one that holds in the lifter wheel.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I am gonna slowly tear this apart I will post some pics. Any reason to not order oil pump yet? I think I am gonna just put the ls6 pump in instead of putting in another slp model
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Teching In

I'd wait till I tore it down to order stuff so you can order everything you need at once. If it took out a lifter it prob got the cam too. I have a TSP LS6 pump on my 408 and its been great.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

OK.... So I pulled the valve covers and pulled a rocker and looked at the needle bearings. The needle bearings are 1/2 the size of the pin I got out of my oil pan. I have to assume it is a lifter roller pin! I was slowly pulling stuff off of the engine. I got down to disconnect a plug and noticed the front timing cover on the bottom of the crank pulley was exploded! I poked it and a piece of the cover came off and some oil pump innards came out. kept poking and proding more came out. I pieced the vanes of the pump togother and it looks like that pin definately was the cause of the pump exploding. So... estimating the damage, I think the crank rods and pistons are good. The heads are good. I am thinking at the worst I am gonna need to replace lifters cam oil pump and timing cover, and at best oil pump lifters and timing cover? I work all day and my garage is full of a 53 chevy pickup I am chopping and my motorcycle so am working outside in the drive way! Can yall think of any other areas that I should look over. Obviously I am going to pull the lifters and cam to inspect, might as well pull the entire motor and inspect all of it???
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by southernculture
OK.... So I pulled the valve covers and pulled a rocker and looked at the needle bearings. The needle bearings are 1/2 the size of the pin I got out of my oil pan. I have to assume it is a lifter roller pin! I was slowly pulling stuff off of the engine. I got down to disconnect a plug and noticed the front timing cover on the bottom of the crank pulley was exploded! I poked it and a piece of the cover came off and some oil pump innards came out. kept poking and proding more came out. I pieced the vanes of the pump togother and it looks like that pin definately was the cause of the pump exploding. So... estimating the damage, I think the crank rods and pistons are good. The heads are good. I am thinking at the worst I am gonna need to replace lifters cam oil pump and timing cover, and at best oil pump lifters and timing cover? I work all day and my garage is full of a 53 chevy pickup I am chopping and my motorcycle so am working outside in the drive way! Can yall think of any other areas that I should look over. Obviously I am going to pull the lifters and cam to inspect, might as well pull the entire motor and inspect all of it???
How can you tell the crank/rods/pistons are good from looking at the outside of the block?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I guess I cant until I look at them, however in my experience when rods break or are jacked the block wont turn. Pistons jacked up it could turn but not run right, and when crank is jacked there is a knocking. I will still inspect these items however my money is on the fact they are ok!

Quick Reply: 2000 trans am stroker 8k miles o oil psi