Sponsored by:

Supercharger Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Build

Hi everyone, first post.
So basically, my car is gettin grebuilt from the ground up, as budget allows lol im planning on finding a junked ls1 bird and swapping it for my 3.4
im looking for around 600rwhp, and have settled on the Procharger D1sc setup. Im wondering what would be a good boost to run on it? Im thinking around 10psi. OR would i be able to run higher due to plans on getting a forged bottom end, crank, rods and pistons. I need it to stay on pump gas because its my dd so should i stick with flat top or dished, im 99% sure i should go for dished, but not sure on how much of a dish. Thanks to anyone who can help
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I would look for a 6.0 iron block...cheaper and stronger, then go forged rotating assembly with dished pistons and shoot for around 8.5-9:1 compression.

Also look into a meth injection kit...for access hundred dollars you can make a lot more power, and be safer.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BCaywood
Hi everyone, first post.
So basically, my car is gettin grebuilt from the ground up, as budget allows lol im planning on finding a junked ls1 bird and swapping it for my 3.4
im looking for around 600rwhp, and have settled on the Procharger D1sc setup. Im wondering what would be a good boost to run on it? Im thinking around 10psi. OR would i be able to run higher due to plans on getting a forged bottom end, crank, rods and pistons. I need it to stay on pump gas because its my dd so should i stick with flat top or dished, im 99% sure i should go for dished, but not sure on how much of a dish. Thanks to anyone who can help
I would research things ALOT more before you pull the trigger. 1st, GMHTP did an article a few years ago showing how much of a PITA it is to swap from a 3.4 to an LS engine. 2nd, you should really talk to procharger or an engine builder on what pistons to go with and 3rd, the piston dish will depend on your head cc and desired CR.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
I would research things ALOT more before you pull the trigger. 1st, GMHTP did an article a few years ago showing how much of a PITA it is to swap from a 3.4 to an LS engine. 2nd, you should really talk to procharger or an engine builder on what pistons to go with and 3rd, the piston dish will depend on your head cc and desired CR.
Do you have a link to the article so i could check it out? i like the ls1, but im not super set on it, it just seemed the easiest. and it seem like its a pain to swap any motor into the 3.4 cars. I saw someone on here who swapped a powerhouse v8 into one, i cant remember his name but its a sick car. ive researched a lot on my stock engine, and figured i could get it up quite a bit in power, but its no v8 and would be hard to make the 600rwhp goal.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mark21742
I would look for a 6.0 iron block...cheaper and stronger, then go forged rotating assembly with dished pistons and shoot for around 8.5-9:1 compression.

Also look into a meth injection kit...for access hundred dollars you can make a lot more power, and be safer.
so just find a 6.0 iron block and build from scratch, like an LQ4, LQ9 or LY6? im open to just about any moter to make the goal, it just seemed easier to build power from the ls based engines, and the ls1 is the easiest to get ahold of. Ive never heard of a meth kit, but then again i havnt looked into fi to much. does it just cool things down or what? it seems like nos injection as in you use it, and then you have to refill it. id prefer to stay away from anything like that. i dont want to have to press a button and inject something to make my power. only power adders i like are turbo/superchargers. id perefer all motor, but that price tag adds up quickly

Last edited by BCaywood; 03-27-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BCaywood
so just find a 6.0 iron block and build from scratch, like an LQ4, LQ9 or LY6? im open to just about any moter to make the goal, it just seemed easier to build power from the ls based engines, and the ls1 is the easiest to get ahold of. Ive never heard of a meth kit, but then again i havnt looked into fi to much. does it just cool things down or what? it seems like nos injection as in you use it, and then you have to refill it. id prefer to stay away from anything like that. i dont want to have to press a button and inject something to make my power. only power adders i like are turbo/superchargers. id perefer all motor, but that price tag adds up quickly
Like said by others above, read, read, read as much as you can and try to talk to others that have done it before to learn not just about their successes, bit where they went wrong in their builds too.
lq4, lq9, even an iron 4.8/5.3 block (some of the older iron blocks came with iron heads so look for longblocks with aluminum heads) iron heads will work, but weigh a lot more than the aluminum heads. Look for 317 heads on a longblock if you can(they have a larger combustion chamber that will help lower your compression).
The aluminum blocks are the hot item, so they are more expensive...that's another good reason to go with an iron block....4.8/5.3 blocks are the cheapest (around $400 last time I checked) 6.0 lq4/9 blocks go for around $600-800, ls1 $1,000-$1,200, and ls2/3 go for $1,500+

Do a few Google searches on meth kits, there are lots of really good articles on them.
The kits usually come with a tank (1-5 gallon), a high pressure pump, solnoid, hoses, nozzle (injector) and some type pressure switch.
The nozzle looks like a n2o nozzle and mounts in your intake tube just infront of you throttlebody. The pressure switch get hooked to a vacuum source and is usually preset to a certain pressure. Your pump and pressure switch get keyed ignition power and the solnoid get wired to the pressure switch.
The system pretty much takes care of itself, all you have to do is fill the meth tank with windsheild washer fluid.
While driving the system is charged, but not flowing. When to hit the throttle and start building boost to the point that the pressure switch is set to (say 8psi) the pressure switch sends power to the solnoid opening it and your water/meth starts squirting through the throttlebody mixing with the air/fuel mixture.

The meth raises your 92/93 octane fuel rating to around 100 octane so you can run more boost and more timing to make more power, while the water turns to steam flash coolung the chamber/cylinder to give yoy a cooler denser mixture, and keeps down hot spots so you can run more boost, more timing and make more power.

Hope that helped!
Mark

Quick Reply: Supercharger Build