Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 408 Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 408 Clicking Noise

So i finished my first LS build and i have been out of town for a couple months. I got home and i replaced my valve covers cause the ones i had were used and leaking. After the install when i started it up i heard a very faint clicking noise. I dont know what it is but im worried that the rockers arent clearing the new valve covers. I dont know why because they are stock LS3 rockers on LSA heads with stock LS3 valve covers. The lift on the cam is 0.650". Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

was it clicking before the new valve cover change?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burken01
was it clicking before the new valve cover change?
No i dont remember it clicking. But it is very faint and u cant here it even when ur sitting in it and its idling. Its not something that gets louder with higher rpms. But with a stock LS3 valve train and stock LS3 valve covers is it likely that a rocker is tapping?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sinister_Z28
No i dont remember it clicking. But it is very faint and u cant here it even when ur sitting in it and its idling. Its not something that gets louder with higher rpms. But with a stock LS3 valve train and stock LS3 valve covers is it likely that a rocker is tapping?
Did you torque the rockers down all at once to 22 ft lbs, or did you do half and half while rotating the engine?

valve cover swap shouldn't be causing this
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yes i tightened them down half and half. I used the book How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines as a step by step instruction manual for assembling the long block. The company i bought the short block heads cam and other misc stuff from said if i run stock valve covers i might have to clearance them. So my question is how do u clearance them?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

oh they said that?

well off hand idk, but if I had to guess I would put a little grease on the top of the rockers and put the valve cover on and then pull it off and see where it was touching and then take a dremel and slightly grind into the valve cover where it was touching... similar to clearancing stock brakes when using 15x10 prostars rims...

but I would research a little about clearancing them to see what other people have done...

you might even want to try posting this in the gen4 section and you will get some more hits with people running the ls3 stuff.. goodluck
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

if stock valve covers and you ran your motor and spent time to build it , I would pull the valve cover and see if some dents are in the inside of the rocker cover baffles. if they are like gen 3 then its a plate riveted to the under side then i'd take a small ball peen and tap the dents a little deeper for clearance. i'll remember this on my lq4/ls3 build.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your help guys this is like i said my first LSX build so im on a steep leaening curve. But as far as the baffles in the valve cover they are very similar to the LS1's. Ill pull em tomorrow and let u guys know what i find.

Quick Reply: New 408 Clicking Noise