Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thermostat Question??

Ive been told to take my 187 degree thermastat out and put in a 160 Degree for a little gain in performance?

when I called Autozone to price one, he said that it would be bad for the car because the car is set for that 187 thermostat! when putting in the 160 he said it could throw on some lights and mess with the o2 sensor and throttle body overtime? That it would be better to stick with the stock one, but i guess when I get my tune they can set the computer for a 160 thermostat!

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

2002 Trans AM LS1 5.7L
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Teching In

A thermostat is a mechanical part that "opens" and "closes" at certain temperatures. It is not computer controlled at all. A 160 will open allowing full coolant flow, not bypassing the radiator at 160 degrees, thus keeping your engine's operating temperature down, which is better for performance. The cooler the engine the better it will perform. Manufacturers create an ideal operating temperature for emissions and fuel consumption. A stock thermostat will do just this, keep the engine temp where it wants it to optimally burn fuel and create emissions. I hope this answers your question.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

See thats what I figured that since its mechanical and opens when it feels a temperature how could it mess up o2 sensors and other stuff, doesnt make any sense. yeah the manufacture has everything set to how they want it but changing that should have any effect on anything , I dont even think the computer will notice that the engine is staying cooler, so how could it possible mess up other things.

like saying putting a air box on their will make the vehicle have better airflow which means that your MAFS will mess up, I think he was just stupid and trying to sell me the stock versus what I wanted!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I did find this

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques019_2.html

Has anyone had any issues with having a 160 in their car, without the system being retuned???
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by demonoidcreeper
See thats what I figured that since its mechanical and opens when it feels a temperature how could it mess up o2 sensors and other stuff, doesnt make any sense. yeah the manufacture has everything set to how they want it but changing that should have any effect on anything , I dont even think the computer will notice that the engine is staying cooler, so how could it possible mess up other things.

like saying putting a air box on their will make the vehicle have better airflow which means that your MAFS will mess up, I think he was just stupid and trying to sell me the stock versus what I wanted!
Just FYI... your engine oil needs to get to a certain temp to insure all the moisture burns off. If you switch to a 160* t stat then you will run cooler but you will also not get the coolant as hot during short trips which will in turn not get your oil as hot during short trips which will build moisture in your oil. I would put in the stock 187* t stat. If you are looking for performance gains out of a thermostat then you are looking in the completely wrong place.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

no issues ever here , never even heard of one

160 and done
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Just FYI... your engine oil needs to get to a certain temp to insure all the moisture burns off. If you switch to a 160* t stat then you will run cooler but you will also not get the coolant as hot during short trips which will in turn not get your oil as hot during short trips which will build moisture in your oil. I would put in the stock 187* t stat. If you are looking for performance gains out of a thermostat then you are looking in the completely wrong place.

So if I get the 160 what doi I need to do to ensure that this wont happen to the vehicle?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a 187* t stat and then have your computer tuned for the fans to kick on earlier. Hell send me your tune and i will kick your fans on earlier for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Get a 187* t stat and then have your computer tuned for the fans to kick on earlier. Hell send me your tune and i will kick your fans on earlier for you.
How do I send you my tunes and I will
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonoidcreeper
How do I send you my tunes and I will
save the file via HP Tuners and PM/Email it to me.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

160 stat will gain performance, but your oil won't heat up enough to evaporate out impurities. If you go 160 stat, you may as well also go PCV delete and go back to changing your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months
Old 04-10-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go to Corvetteforum and look for posts by some who goes by EvilTwin using the words "sweet spot" you will find out all you want to know. He helped develop the LS1 cooling system and thermostat arrangement and they ran a lot of tests at different temperatures. There is a definite trade-off between coolant temperature, oil temperature, performance and engine life.

Also, if the f-body thermostat is the same as the Corvette, you can alter the opening temperature yourself for less than $1.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

If you go with a 160 you have to tune your fans to kick on sooner. The problem is, you'll never reach 160. The stock radiator and WP won't get you there. You will hit 175 however. With that said, here's a good starting point for the Fan tuning:

________ON______OFF
F1______184F____175F
________84.4C___79.4C
F2______194F____185F
________90C_____85C
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything over an oil temp of 212 should cook all the moisture out. Given that oil has a higher viscosity, there is less of it, and in most cases does not have a radiator system; oil temperature should always exceed the water temperature. I decent drive once in awhile should get things up to temp without issue.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Just understand that a lower temperature thermostat alone DOES NOT affect the cooling ability of the cooling system. The thermostat opening earlier will not keep the engine cooler unless you have it tuned to have the fans come on earlier. The stock thermostat is meant to stay closed until an optimum temperature, which allows the QUICKEST warm up time. When your thermostat opens earlier than the stock thermostat, this slows down the warm up period, therefore during short trips, you are spending more of your time with the engine not warmed up. This will cause increased engine wear and a slight drop in gas mileage. Not a fan of anything but stock

Quick Reply: Thermostat Question??