I've got a 2002 Ws6 with the following mods:

Magnaflow catback
Pacesetter LT headers
ORY
Lid
SFCs
SLP CAI
Stock gears

Ready to make the move into some heavier mods but I'm clueless as to which way to go. I don't have a problem spending a couple grand at a time to get the results that I want. I'm leaning toward a set of Stage 2.5 or 3 PRC heads, a MS3 cam and a set of 3.73 gears. I'm clueless as to what cam or heads to go with as I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual. Need some guidance. Is this even the most logical choice? Car will be driven mostly on the street but I want to be able to take it to the strip and run high 11's down the road with the right tire and upgraded rear end.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well your question is pretty vague. Do you want a more budget friendly setup or top end? Big difference in price Mine is more on the cheaper side as far as a HCI setup is concerned, and I love it for what it is
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well your question is pretty vague. Do you want a more budget friendly setup or top end? Big difference in price Mine is more on the cheaper side as far as a HCI setup is concerned, and I love it for what it is
I know the question is vague. I'm kinda lost Long term I'd like to stay under $5,000. I guess part of my problem is I don't even know what questions to ask.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

TSP stuff is pretty budget friendly. The biggest thing that will change how the car drives (and how much power it makes and where it makes that power) will be the camshaft.

MS3 is a pretty big cam that will give up some low-end and midrange torque for high RPM horsepower - but more importantly, it will drive like a big cam. Everyone talks about being able to tune out surge. That's ridiculous. You can quell some of it, but surge is a byproduct of overlap and the lessening of vacuum the engine makes at and off idle. So, if you can deal with bucking in the 1200-1600rpm range you can live with a bigger cam.

Becasuse of that, 3.73s wouldn't be a great match. 4.10s would be better. Or 4.30s. In a 10-bolt, those are some tiny teeth on gears that low, so it might not last if you ever catch traction and dump the clutch...

The heads are fine. PRC, for the money, are pretty tough to beat.

Being that you have an 02, you already have the LS6 intake. That would be fine in a budget application.

I'd do something like: custom TSP/Comp 231/234 LSL/LXL 112+3 camshaft, PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads milled down to 62cc, 3.73s, upgraded clutch Monster Stg 2, upgraded injectors (FIC resized 42s), new timing chain (LS2 chain or JP Single row), new oil pump (new LS6 or ported TSP LS6), new lifters (LS7 or Brian Tooley SLRs), new hardened pushrods (7.4"), new head gaskets/bolts (Cometic .040s and ARP bolts), new front cover gasket, and wp gaskets. I'd also do a Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley and Comp Trunion upgrade for the stock rockers (or the Lunati ones that are already done). TSP sells the Comp upgrade and does install them on an exchange basis in your stock rockers.

That'd be a good car that would make good power ~430rwhp based on your current lid/exhaust. It'd also make nice torque.

I say spend the money on Cometics to improve the quench area of the heads - that'll add power and safety. The Stage 1s come with stock valves, so you don't have to worry as much about piston to valve clearance. The heads milled down with that cam (which you can order from TSP's custom site - just pick LSL 231 lobe intake, LXL 234 exhaust, 112 LSA and 109 ICL) will make good power without being a bear to tune. The combined compression, quench, and cam specs will make good power and torque everywhere and not be a pain to drive. It would also work pretty well with 3.73s. You'll need more injector and FIC can resize your stock ones - then you just replace all the other wear parts once you have the heads off and front cover removed.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
TSP stuff is pretty budget friendly. The biggest thing that will change how the car drives (and how much power it makes and where it makes that power) will be the camshaft.

MS3 is a pretty big cam that will give up some low-end and midrange torque for high RPM horsepower - but more importantly, it will drive like a big cam. Everyone talks about being able to tune out surge. That's ridiculous. You can quell some of it, but surge is a byproduct of overlap and the lessening of vacuum the engine makes at and off idle. So, if you can deal with bucking in the 1200-1600rpm range you can live with a bigger cam.

Becasuse of that, 3.73s wouldn't be a great match. 4.10s would be better. Or 4.30s. In a 10-bolt, those are some tiny teeth on gears that low, so it might not last if you ever catch traction and dump the clutch...

The heads are fine. PRC, for the money, are pretty tough to beat.

Being that you have an 02, you already have the LS6 intake. That would be fine in a budget application.

I'd do something like: custom TSP/Comp 231/234 LSL/LXL 112+3 camshaft, PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads milled down to 62cc, 3.73s, upgraded clutch Monster Stg 2, upgraded injectors (FIC resized 42s), new timing chain (LS2 chain or JP Single row), new oil pump (new LS6 or ported TSP LS6), new lifters (LS7 or Brian Tooley SLRs), new hardened pushrods (7.4"), new head gaskets/bolts (Cometic .040s and ARP bolts), new front cover gasket, and wp gaskets. I'd also do a Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley and Comp Trunion upgrade for the stock rockers (or the Lunati ones that are already done). TSP sells the Comp upgrade and does install them on an exchange basis in your stock rockers.

That'd be a good car that would make good power ~430rwhp based on your current lid/exhaust. It'd also make nice torque.

I say spend the money on Cometics to improve the quench area of the heads - that'll add power and safety. The Stage 1s come with stock valves, so you don't have to worry as much about piston to valve clearance. The heads milled down with that cam (which you can order from TSP's custom site - just pick LSL 231 lobe intake, LXL 234 exhaust, 112 LSA and 109 ICL) will make good power without being a bear to tune. The combined compression, quench, and cam specs will make good power and torque everywhere and not be a pain to drive. It would also work pretty well with 3.73s. You'll need more injector and FIC can resize your stock ones - then you just replace all the other wear parts once you have the heads off and front cover removed.
I don't mind going to 4.10's if it means I can get away with a bigger cam and better flowing heads. There are also some very good LS tuners in Columbus (where I live). Most of my driving will higher RPM. Even when I'm on the highway I keep it in 5th gear at 75-80 mph so I'm not really concerned with being a bear to drive.

I'm also considering switching over to a TSP Rumbler exhaust.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I can personally tell you that 4.10's are a absolute blast on a 6-speed with a decent HCI combo. Auto or stick?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I can personally tell you that 4.10's are a absolute blast on a 6-speed with a decent HCI combo. Auto or stick?
Stick. Sorry I didn't specify. All ws6 cars are manual to my knowledge.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GilbertWs6
Stick. Sorry I didn't specify. All ws6 cars are manual to my knowledge.
Negative.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Whoops. My bad.

Quick Reply: Cam/Head question.