Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Why is it no matter the subject somebody has to add something gay as **** to a thread. The better question is why you had a demonstration of how to suck dick on your phone and readily available
Old 11-20-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
Why is it no matter the subject somebody has to add something gay as **** to a thread. The better question is why you had a demonstration of how to suck dick on your phone and readily available
Your deep-throating Comps meat is the only thing gay in here. Believe that is your X-Ray, you definitely have skills
Old 11-20-2014, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what you could do to hardened roller cam to cause it to destroy itself.

That said I typically install them with a heavier oil on the lobes and change the oil at an earlier interval the next change just as insurance.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I'm not exactly sure what you could do to hardened roller cam to cause it to destroy itself.
If it can be done someone will have done it by now, or will do it in the future.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The cam I got from Ed was indeed a Comp. Mine had no issues, at all, ever. I also asked him about Comp being with Lunati now, and he explained that while the management may be the same, the parts are different. Lunati still makes Lunati.

I didn't use "assembly lube" or any crap like that. SuperTech HD30. Brought the car up to temp, changed the oil and filter, and ran Castrol Edge from then on. That's it.

I'm neither for or against Comp. But they did have some issues which they even admitted to. There was a hardening problem.

If I could choose, it'd be Bullet or Cam Motion cores. Hell, I think Crower even has good cores if memory serves me correctly... I don't however think Ed will cut on either one of them, so I get whatever he recommends.

I do agree with some being install issues. But still, to see some of them chewed the way they were, literally disintegrating... That's just not right.

In closing, I'm simply saying if I had a CHOICE of who would cut my cam, I'd go with someone other than Comp. That's my personal preference. Nothing more.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Update: I think they want to warranty the cam but I can't afford to pay a shop another thousand for labor I got this email this is all it said. How should I go about this?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
Update: I think they want to warranty the cam but I can't afford to pay a shop another thousand for labor I got this email this is all it said. How should I go about this?

Realy that's all they need to do but I would tell them that you want them to split the install Bill (good luck) or explain your situation and be more persistent and request they at least reimburse you for your gaskets and hardware also, and tell them you will take a loss on the labor. Thats bout your best bet, they ain't gona come over and put it in and they ain't gona pay you any "cash" in return(only parts) so maybe you could get them to send you gaskets and hardware...

Or get a couple experienced friends and your gaskets and learn to do it yourself and save that 1000
Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 PM
8 Second Club

I had a comp cam fail as well
1500 dollars and a lot of phone calls later comp pretty much told me they knew they had a problem and wouldn't do anything about it.

I got a free comp cam from a friend a few days ago, I wouldn't put it in my car if comp personally sponsored me to do so.
Have you seen a single thread on cam motion cams failing? Or how about bullett?
Maybe the people installing those brands know more than the people using comps cams and that's why they aren't failing?

You can be as blind as you want, you haven't had a problem and you want to justify how you've spent your money, good for you. Comp has had a lot of cams fail and has done nothing to correct it and nothing to take care of the customers that already shelled out the money for their product. Why would they if theres no incentive or profit to be made, they know they'll sell 999 good ones and still make money.
You can praise them all you want, too many people have had too many cams go bad for it to be user error or a bad batch.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:40 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I worked for a shop for about a year through 2013 and we installed a Comp cam once or twice a week. Not a single problem, not one of them whined. Plus we could get a Comp cam in a matter of days, not weeks.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Plus we could get a Comp cam in a matter of days, not weeks.
Weeks? I ordered a cam from Cam Motion at noon on November 10th. They had to grind it, and I received it by noon on November 17. And there was a holiday on November 11.

Russ Kemp
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
Weeks? I ordered a cam from Cam Motion at noon on November 10th. They had to grind it, and I received it by noon on November 17. And there was a holiday on November 11.

Russ Kemp
Yeah, we waited 2-4 weeks for several cams from a vendor other than Comp.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I look at it this way. If you make 1 million cams and 0.05% of them are bad that's 500 bad cams. Thats a really good percentage for a manufactured product but still a lot of bad cams and people are going to notice. Now if your a smaller company and only make 10 thousand cams and 0.05% are bad thats only 5 bad cams and could easily go unnoticed but you still have the same chance of getting a bad cam from either company. The only real problem I see going on is how Comp has been handling these bad cams, they need to be doing more to make things right with their customers. I could see this happening if some of Comps larger vendors (last I knew TSP was the biggest seller of LSx Comp cams, so they would be great) would start pushing them to start taking care of their customers better.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously the volume thing is getting really old. The deficit between comp and say cam motion isnt 5k to 5E6. If cam motion did have a lobe failure, going by the rules I have seen in here we may never hear of it.

OOOOPSSSS. Except they did and people did hear about it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...firm-junk.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...utral-cam.html

And there's many more. Notice anything particular about the issues? That's right they're almost IDENTICAL to comp's right now. The difference is Cam Motion acknowledged the problem, changed core type, and starting polishing their cams. Now find one example with a cam motion core having the same issue with one that wasnt made circa 2006.

This should put the volume issue to bed because proof is right here if a smaller company had an issue it would be known. Dont forget in addition to buying direct from cam motion you also get their core from futral like referenced above or if you ordered an eps cam around start of 2013. Again find one of those with these issues.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

It boiled my blood when the comp cams guy said most likely it's your car and not our cam. I asked him why didn't it whine the first 100k miles with the stock cam? He replied we had a issue with cam whine over a year ago and we already fixed it. That didn't sit well with me.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Launching!

The kind of reply I see here tells me that not many really know what they are doing when it comes to camshaft installs. I am not and have not said that Comp Cams is free of flaws.

I have been trying to say that just because person A has a whine from a cam, and solved it with a different cam. This alone is not enough evidence that it was a problem with the camshaft. Maybe the "bad' cam had a slightly smaller OD, and the bearing wear gave then a slightly bigger ID with the resulting clearance causing the whine. I doubt anyone of these threads checked this or other things to give a true answer.

I know for a fact that I don't know even remotely enough about cams to tell anyone one why one failed or did not. Even with the small amount I know on the subject I can say there is far more in installing a cam correctly then simply removing the old and installing the new. Most people that change cams will just assume that because the cam they remove was good, and quiet that they need to do no more then simply replace it. However what if due to a wear issue the bearings are bad in that they wont work with a different cam, or wont work very well? In any of the bad cam threads I have read I have never seen mention of these kind of things, did you?

Another point I have been trying to make is that just because a company has or had issues with a product, does not mean they are doing nothing if they tell the public nothing. Yes it would be nicer if they did tell the public more, but it is normal for any company to have internal policies that are hidden from the public. It is actually far more common for a company to deal with things quietly then to issue a press release for anything.

I also am not saying that it was not Comp Cams fault, and that there are too many variables with too little information from the bulk of these threads to truly know. Again I am saying it is worth noting what the issues other have are, but if too many focus on them we will also end up with people looking for similar issues that should not be.

Last edited by ChevyOwner; 11-23-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyOwner
The kind of reply I see here tells me that not many really know what they are doing when it comes to camshaft installs. I am not and have not said that Comp Cams is free of flaws.

I have been trying to say that just because person A has a whine from a cam, and solved it with a different cam. This alone is not enough evidence that it was a problem with the camshaft. Maybe the "bad' cam had a slightly smaller OD, and the bearing wear gave then a slightly bigger ID with the resulting clearance causing the whine. I doubt anyone of these threads checked this or other things to give a true answer.

I know for a fact that I don't know even remotely enough about cams to tell anyone one why one failed or did not. Even with the small amount I know on the subject I can say there is far more in installing a cam correctly then simply removing the old and installing the new. Most people that change cams will just assume that because the cam they remove was good, and quiet that they need to do no more then simply replace it. However what if due to a wear issue the bearings are bad in that they wont work with a different cam, or wont work very well? In any of the bad cam threads I have read I have never seen mention of these kind of things, did you?

Another point I have been trying to make is that just because a company has or had issues with a product, does not mean they are doing nothing if they tell the public nothing. Yes it would be nicer if they did tell the public more, but it is normal for any company to have internal policies that are hidden from the public. It is actually far more common for a company to deal with things quietly then to issue a press release for anything.

I also am not saying that it was not Comp Cams fault, and that there are too many variables with too little information from the bulk of these threads to truly know. Again I am saying it is worth noting what the issues other have are, but if too many focus on them we will also end up with people looking for similar issues that should not be.

Seriously?? I really dont see how there is still a debate on this. Yes 27 pages of people with bad cams and only comp brand cams must have bad installs. Its like people all of sudden lose IQ points when they install a comp cam vs cam motion or bullet grind.

Also note the bolded part.... If the "bad" cam is too small causing whine then yes it is indeed the cams fault for being made wrong....

And bearing od? Even if that had merritt (still dont see bad cam bearing whining) a new cam still fixed the issue and performed the same as the oem cam, ie no whine. Now that still to me sounds like a comp problem. Its their fault they made the cam too small or whatever. I swear some people in this thread are getting paid by comp.

Last edited by redbird555; 11-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Just recieved my Comp cam spec by Martin! I am going to jam that thing in today bet I get no whine whoooooooooo.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Just recieved my Comp cam spec by Martin! I am going to jam that thing in today bet I get no whine whoooooooooo.
What's your point...? Good for you.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Your deep-throating Comps meat is the only thing gay in here. Believe that is your X-Ray, you definitely have skills
I swear some of you guys need to get a bitch ... if having skills means not ******* up a perfectly good cam than your right I got skills...

I think it's obvious where all this whining is coming from Here lets me play you cry me a river on the world's smallest violin
Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
What's your point...? Good for you.
My point is I am not worried! Never had a issue with comp. Sure bad things happen. Especially in the aftermarket business. I trust in the company I ordered from so if I had a issue thy would help me resolve it.

Last edited by Zmg00camaross; 11-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?