Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my motor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build my motor!

I am in need of a rebuild, my cylinder #6 is missing bad, and on a high rev it will smoke. So now that there is a little back story let me tell you what I would like to have, around 450 rwhp with keeping it on the cheap side, and hopefully get the motor revving a little higher with keeping it very dependable. This will be my daily driver, and is my DD.

But doesn't everyone want to keep it cheap lol, I was thinking of getting some used 243 heads, having them sent out and port and polished, with a cam too match, some upgraded springs, pushrods, Fast 92 intake/Tb, upgrading my oil pump at the same time, and replacing my timing chain. I want to keep the bottom end stock too save on cost, so what do you guys think.

[by the way I have no clue about cams, I want something that sounds Bad a** but is streetable]

Going to disassemble the motor myself, take it too a machine shop and have them inspect the internals and have whatever that needs to be replaced, replaced. Is this attainable or nonsense? Would I need new injectors? I would get a new tune. I have hooker headers at the moment, with MSD wires, and a uninstalled chris1313 intake. This is a m6 by the way!

Hope too hear back from you guys! Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by fire120ball; 04-22-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a cam I would highly recommend getting a custom one with specs from the guy who started this thread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
It will be worth a few extra bucks for you to do it right the first time and get what you want out of it. He knows his stuff!!!
Texas Speed was my choice for CNC'd heads. They only do LS stuff so I think this gives them a little edge on the competition, for the money you want to spend...in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Definitely upgrade injectors. I hear FIC does custom resizing on your stock injectors and coms with either a hptuners or efi live tune file for ease of tuning. just a thought.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

If it were me, I would just go ahead and plan on new pistons rather than reusing the old ones. LS1's are prone to excess piston-wall clearance and a rebuild will only make it worse. If you step up to an oversized piston, something like 3.902" minimum, the machine shop will be able to torque plate hone your cylinders, getting them straighter and rounder than how they came from GM, as well as setting up the ideal piston-wall clearance for a reliable engine that seals up well and doesn't make a lot of noise. Probe's FPS piston would be my recommendation. Very light and very budget friendly.

So as not to break the budget with those pistons, I would also opt for an LS6 manifold with a 90mm TB rather than the FAST combo. The FAST would make a little more power, but it would not make the engine any more reliable like the new pistons would.

Is your car equipped with an auto or manual transmission?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 6 speed, thanks for all the advice guys!

I am so excited to do this, especially because my motor is running so terrible. It's weird it's super choppy for about 10 minutes then it goes away, but if I go over half throttle the motor runs fine.

I was thinking about the 243 heads ported as opposed to brand new heads because of money, I was looking at the kits that come from TPS but there around $2,500 to 3,000. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help me build my motor!