Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MORE technical questions about a new Texas Speed 408 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MORE technical questions about a new Texas Speed 408 build

I am looking at a new TSP 408 longblock for my 98 Vette and trying to figure out what heads to go with. Car will be N/A daily driver. I look at the best flowing heads and they are the LS3 / L92 design. This would require a new intake, tb, maybe new rails, new maf, new intake bellow, etc. And I don't know if all that will be plug and play and be a good fit physically. Starting to look like a can of worms there so I started researching cathedral vs rectangular port as far as performance goes. Flow numbers all look better on rectangular but in a gmperformance article they dyno tested the two designs and actually only got a few more avg and overall hp and tq with the rectangular port design. So I figure thats good assurance that I can stick with the cathedral design, all my old parts work and I can make just about as much power.

So the next thing I start looking at is the various cathedral designs. I made a spread sheet here, the ones not highlighted are cathedral: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LT2d5c3c#gid=0

Some of those flow better than others but one thing I have to look at is chamber volume to keep my compression ratio in check. This is where I am having issues now. I have heard that the smaller the head gasket, the better the quench and safer against detonation so say I go to the thinnest .040 MLS gaskets. Then I have heard that flat top pistons should be used whenever possible over dished because it creates a better mixture (no turbulent dish rim) and also that dish rim can cause hot spots. So I figure it with the flat (-3cc) pistons. If I type all of that into a compression ratio calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html I get 10.9:1. That seems like it might be a little much for 91 octane and 30 degrees of timing. Thoughts?

If I look at it another way and decide to go with the best flowing cathedral option its a 68cc chamber. That would push my compression ratio to 11.3:1 with the "ideal" .040 head gasket. To get that back down I have to run a dished piston and they offer a -10cc which would get me down to 10.5 and thats where I feel safe. So I guess in the end, what is a better setup, the best heads and best gasket with dished piston and 10.5:1 compression. Or head that flows 7% less average, .045 (one step from "ideal") gasket, and "ideal" piston netting 10.7:1 compression?

I should add that I am not sure of the piston deck clearance but I was using .007" under deck based on some searches I have done (TSP wasn't answering their phone yesterday for me to confirm).

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just use a TEA/TFS head (215, 225, 235) that will accept standard stuff, ie Fast intake, oem rockers?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't plan on finalizing your head gasket thickness until you measure the deck height of the pistons in the block. If you're 0.010" out of the hole, I would do a 0.045" gasket minimum.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Why not just use a TEA/TFS head (215, 225, 235) that will accept standard stuff, ie Fast intake, oem rockers?
I guess the main reason for my head selection is because I'm looking at a Texas-Speed assembled long-block and the PRC are their options.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not put a 408 iron in a Vette. I would keep the motor Alum. for weight distribution purpose. Do not ruin what you have, this is obviously not drag setup so why not keep the Vette in its class, a light cornering machine.
IMO if you want big cubes, go LS2 based.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Or LS3 since the price difference is pretty minimal. LS3 to me offers to best balance of price/perf/weight. Certainly more performance than LS2 based solutions while being considerably cheaper than LS7 options.

And with the LS3 block, LS3 heads become a viable option. On a 4-4.03" bore, I like Cathedral heads. 4.07" bore and above LS3. And 4.130" and above, LS7.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I would not put a 408 iron in a Vette. I would keep the motor Alum. for weight distribution purpose. Do not ruin what you have, this is obviously not drag setup so why not keep the Vette in its class, a light cornering machine.
IMO if you want big cubes, go LS2 based.
Not worried about the weight distribution, once you sit my azz in the seat its all over with anyway. Besides, I don't do a lot of cornering or really spirited driving. Its putt to work 5 miles and back home 5 miles then take to the track once a year for fun.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Or LS3 since the price difference is pretty minimal. LS3 to me offers to best balance of price/perf/weight. Certainly more performance than LS2 based solutions while being considerably cheaper than LS7 options.

And with the LS3 block, LS3 heads become a viable option. On a 4-4.03" bore, I like Cathedral heads. 4.07" bore and above LS3. And 4.130" and above, LS7.
I'm not against LS3, but if I go that route I have to change all sorts of stuff and its really getting out of my price range. The LQ9 is going to be around the $7-8k all said and done. LS3 is over $8k for just the long block so figure $10k ish by the time I get new top end stuff and everything else.

Quick Reply: MORE technical questions about a new Texas Speed 408 build