Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish you were closer, I'd let you use my QTP's as an open header test just to see if that truly is the issue. Is this still a MAF tune? What's the timing like? But before you go crazy, most stock M6 LS2 GTO's put about 350 down IIRC, so theres 20 there.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever get the afr readings?
On the street we tried 29deg and it pulled 2deg back out,
out of 5 hits we seen 1 hit pull timing at 28deg so i think thats about as far as i would like to push it for timing, hell may pull a deg or 2 it may like it.
But would like to know what the afr where
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm offering up why he's making lower torque than we all expect with a 41 IVC and 11.5:1 CR to make.

Hell Mamo will even tell you that and that's why he generally specs 4 degrees variance Int/Exh with only 1 degree of advance on fairly wide LSAs. The heads perform better within those parameters than with a more conventional split or higher overlap. So if you put a cam with 15 degrees of overlap and a narrower split would it make the same power out of the 365? The wealth of dynos out there suggest it would and it'd drive a lot nicer too.

The G5X3/AFR205 combo made killer power, albeit with headers designed for velocity, but that had 15 degrees of overlap, but a wider split that was aided significantly by the LG Pro headers design with the right merge and extremely long primaries to maximize the exhaust port qualities of the AFR 205. Generally those made 490-500rwhp/440-450rwtq. Out of a 346.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Well crap, tuning without a wide band is like shooting fish in a barrel with a rubber band gun. Sounds like it needs a lot more fuel for sure though. What are the knock sensors set at?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenson
I wish you were closer, I'd let you use my QTP's as an open header test just to see if that truly is the issue. Is this still a MAF tune? What's the timing like? But before you go crazy, most stock M6 LS2 GTO's put about 350 down IIRC, so theres 20 there.
He showed me the dyno graph of the bone stock 05 GTO, which was right at 330 rwhp. That's why I was asking if anyone knew what they typically put down. I didn't know they normally put down 350 rwhp in stock form. Just trying to use that as a measuring tool in regards to how the dyno reads.

I just texted him for the air/fuel readings.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tune is an open loop speed density tune. Apparently, he didn't hook up the air/fuel, so no readings.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Holy ****.

Yeah, I read everyone else's replies...

Look. You need to get to a tuner that can TUNE your car on a dyno. This dyno variance **** is exactly that. Yeah, mustang vs DynoJet has merit, but that's it. I've put down identical #'s on Geoff's dyno 8 months apart. Here in southern Louisiana that's a big frickin deal.

Brother, please, make the drive here to Geoff @ EPS. Don't worry about room and board. I have MORE THAN ENOUGH room for you and your family, and you won't even feel like you're putting us out. Trust me.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Holy ****.

Look. You need to get to a tuner that can TUNE your car on a dyno. This dyno variance **** is exactly that. Yeah, mustang vs DynoJet has merit, but that's it. I've put down identical #'s on Geoff's dyno 8 months apart. Here in southern Louisiana that's a big frickin deal.

Brother, please, make the drive here to Geoff @ EPS. Don't worry about room and board. I have MORE THAN ENOUGH room for you and your family, and you won't even feel like you're putting us out. Trust me.
"Like"
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Tune is an open loop speed density tune. Apparently, he didn't hook up the air/fuel, so no readings.
How in the hell do you tune a car w/o a wide band? I'm not mad at you bro, just mad you have to go through all this ****. I had a bad experience when I had my car tuned too. I'm leary to take it somewhere else for fear of the same thing.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy ****.

Now thats a true motorhead buddy!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holy ****.

Well, I've got the dyno part taken care of and I've got confidence that my tuner can get this thing dialed in on the rollers. I know these heads are bad *** and flow a **** ton of air, so I don't think it's that. Hell, Phil told me several times that these heads flow more and will produce more HP than the ported 243's and the flow chart reflects that. We're going to get this thing dialed in and see what it does and how much it picks up.

Thanks for not giving me too hard of a time. I know I talked a lot of **** and said I'd be right there with you in terms of power, but I'm not even close. It will get fixed though.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badassracing
Now thats a true motorhead buddy!
Hell yes it is. Dave is the perfect representation of what LS nation is all about.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
How in the hell do you tune a car w/o a wide band? I'm not mad at you bro, just mad you have to go through all this ****. I had a bad experience when I had my car tuned too. I'm leary to take it somewhere else for fear of the same thing.
The car was tuned with a wideband right after the heads/cam/clutch was installed (street tune). Yesterday's dyno runs were just that; 3 dyno pulls with no tuning, strictly to see how much power it was putting down.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

I really think you should run another car with a similar setup/numbers you should be making and see how it performs.

Dr_Whigham - Its nice to see there are still some good guys out there!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I really think you should run another car with a similar setup/numbers you should be making and see how it performs.

Dr_Whigham - Its nice to see there are still some good guys out there!
Dirtbag on here (SS Camaro with Trick Flow As Cast heads/Vengeance cam/FAST setup) lives close to me and he put down 440 rwhp on a dynojet in St. Louis, so I'll try to get a few runs in next week since my wife will be out of town.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Dirtbag on here (SS Camaro with Trick Flow As Cast heads/Vengeance cam/FAST setup) lives close to me and he put down 440 rwhp on a dynojet in St. Louis, so I'll try to get a few runs in next week since my wife will be out of town.
I think that would let you know if it making the power it should. Don't forget to record it for us!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

Getting it dialed in on the dyno is the next thing Nate should do.

Car hasn't even been dialed in or tuned on the dyno, but it's the cam causing it to underperform.

Only on the internet...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

In good weather Ive seen a few LS2 GTO's hit upper 350's and low 360. My buddies with just a tune made 368 on Vengeance's dyno. This is why everyone say's dont rely/get caught up in dyno numbers because they all vary.

SD all the way!! Make sure you relocate your IAT sensor to the front bumper. If it was tuned on the street with a wideband then I dont see you being able to eek out much more on the dyno, unless your street pulls were limited. Its a lot easier on the dyno cuz your not fearing jail time. I'd probably back timing down to 24* total just to get started and see where your at. I like to run less timing down low and ramp it up on the top end (more torque down low). One question cuz I dont see it on your mod list, but is it safe to assume you have more than a stock pump with those 44#'s?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenson
In good weather Ive seen a few LS2 GTO's hit upper 350's and low 360. My buddies with just a tune made 368 on Vengeance's dyno. This is why everyone say's dont rely/get caught up in dyno numbers because they all vary.

SD all the way!! Make sure you relocate your IAT sensor to the front bumper. If it was tuned on the street with a wideband then I dont see you being able to eek out much more on the dyno, unless your street pulls were limited. Its a lot easier on the dyno cuz your not fearing jail time. I'd probably back timing down to 24* total just to get started and see where your at. I like to run less timing down low and ramp it up on the top end (more torque down low). One question cuz I dont see it on your mod list, but is it safe to assume you have more than a stock pump with those 44#'s?
To elaborate on that as well, a member here in this very thread made 407 rwhp on one dyno jet and 470 rwhp on another!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car was street tuned using a lm1 wide band (yes o2 bung was used) car was running 12.5/12.7 through out the pull with 28deg.
the car is in full SD

we have plenty of 1/4 stretches to do full pulls around here, but yes the dyno is the place to be to finish up the tune.

on the fueling side yes it still has the stock pump in it.... as of the day the car was delivered. (42lbs injectors)
Nathan and i did talk about a new pump when we started this project, and at the time funds where pass depleted..

The tune does reflect the stock pump.. pressure was dropping pretty fast at 6k
but never does the car dip into the 13s on the afr through out the pull....
inless the pump is petering out the afr where good... (a new pump will be installed and the tune will be adjusted b4 the car hits the rollers again)

Quick Reply: Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread