Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a weird "popping" sound when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a weird "popping" sound when coming to a stop

Hopefully someone can help me here, I've had no luck on other forums so far.

In my Blazer with the 5.7 Vortec Gen 1, when I come up to a stop after cruising for a few minutes, it does this weird popping thing which sounds like someone is hitting a hammer against the passenger firewall. It's almost like a backfire but it doesn't seem to be coming out of the intake or exhaust, the sound stays right at the firewall. Sometimes it will do this 30 seconds after I'm stopped. It stays if I rev the engine and increases with RPM.

Nothing looks to be weird using the standard log settings on HPTuners, all of the graphs stay steady, no knock showing on the knock sensor. The first 1,000 miles on the engine were fine and it didn't do this, then one day it started. Switching back to the stock tune for the engine doesn't help. I'm lost.

Is it possible that the valves are misadjusted? I think I'd notice that more distinctively though. Maybe something is wrong with the way I built the motor? You guys really seem to know your stuff in here, I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

knock can be bearing related or just a loose exhaust or heat shield. Also check motor mount, tranny mount.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Flat cam lobe on exh??
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Launching!

The mounts are all firm, I remember looking at it last year for any clearance issues with the headers and other stuff thinking maybe something was loose and hitting. It all looks fine to me.

Something with the exhaust does make sense. It is a totally stock rebuild, nothing fancy. It does have a roller cam so I wouldn't think the cam is flat. I've got 5,000 miles on the engine since it was built. I only replaced piston rings, rod, main and cam bearings when I got it. Cylinders were only worn .001". That's after it was honed. Maybe I'll pop off the valve covers and try adjusting the valves again or something.

Could a bad lifter do something like this? I think that would be a little louder and more of a constant sound though.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

check your spark plugs. make sure none of them are cracked.

Quick Reply: Getting a weird "popping" sound when coming to a stop