Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure issue, pics of teardown, what was the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default oil pressure issue, pics of teardown, what was the cause?

This is a continuation of this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...hen-reuse.html

I have since removed the engine from the car and taken it halfway apart, to examine the bearings, crank, and cam.

HISTORY: 04 LS6 obtained 5 years ago as a zero mile rebuild with a new LS6 oil pump. Put it into my truck as a replacement for the stock 6.0 (which also died of oiling issues oddly enough). Ran the LS6 in the truck for 4 years and 33k miles, always made 45-70psi oil pressure. Had castrol synthetic 5-30 run in it since the first 500 miles.

Last year I pulled the LS6 out of the truck and swapped it into my 85 corvette. The only thing I changed was the cam, I put a TSP torquerv2 cam in, along with their springs and pushrods. Start the vette up with the LS6 and I still get 45psi at hot idle and 65+ driving.

Send the car to get street tuned and the guy calls me when he's almost there from the interstate to tell me he's seeing reduced oil pressure of about 35 on the highway. He put a mechanical gauge on when he got to the shop which indicated 25 at hot idle and 35-40 revving.

I get the car back and remove the motor and tear it halfway apart. A few of the bearings look a little rougher than I'd expect, but I don't see any catastrophic failure that would cause the loss of oil pressure.

The cam looks as good as it did when it went in:

I can see no significant problems with the cam bearings. There are a few nicks here and there from cam remove/install, but they are not deep at all. None have spun, I can confirm that all the oiling holes are aligned as they should be.

Rod 8:

Rod 7:

Rod 6:

Rod 5:

Rod 1:

Rod 2:

Rod 4:

Rod 3:

Main 1:

Main 2:

Main 3:

Main 4:

Main 5:

Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LS6 oil pump which was also new when the engine was rebuilt:

Just for ***** and giggles, the front and rear oil galley seals:

Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

QUESTIONS:

1) I do not see a catastrophic oiling failure here which would cause a sudden loss of oil pressure. While some of the bearings do not look great, I do not see any that spun or are showing copper. Is it normal for bearings that do not look terrible to exhibit low oil pressure suddenly?

2) It goes without saying that since I am this far in, I will go ahead and replace all the bearings. Can the rods and pistons be left in the engine when this is done? (I know you think that's a halfass way to do it, and I'll explain why I want to do this below).

3) I had installed ARP rod bolts in this engine years ago. I do not see any flat spots on the rod bearings that would indicate an ovaled rod bore, which is what some people claim happens when ARP bolts are used. With this in mind, I should not need to remove the rods and have them re-bored, correct? Again, I want to try and avoid removing the pistons and heads to get the rods out.

So you say, why don't you take the heads off it and put new rings in too, go ahead and do a total rebuild now?

Well, I was told when I got this motor that the heads had already been milled 0.030". I don't know what the practical limit for milling these heads is, but that has to be getting close. So if I pull them again, this could cause me problems with milling them again, possibly cause issues with PTV clearance, and also pushrod length may have to be changed again, right? So I'd rather leave that part of it alone if at all possible.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a right way, a wrong way, and a half azz way to building engines...The choice is yours... Honestly...don't throw out there that ARP rod bolts will live in an engine without re-sizing, resizing is the "right" way to do it. It may be ok in your engine, but not ok in another. Beside, your having issues with your engine ?? and it's very low mileage.

IMHO....your oil pressure didn't justify the teardown...25PSI at hot idle?? lol...45 on the highway??? = Acceptable
GM spec is 10 PSI per 1,000 RPMs

If I were you and trying to get it done the "half azz" way, I would at a minimum, clean it all up, have the crank polished, check and re-size the rods, new bearings, and check clearances. Depending on which way you go, you may be tearing it down again in 500 miles.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 05-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Red face

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
There's a right way, a wrong way, and a half azz way to building engines...The choice is yours... Honestly...don't throw out there that ARP rod bolts will live in an engine without re-sizing, resizing is the "right" way to do it. It may be ok in your engine, but not ok in another. Beside, your having issues with your engine ?? and it's very low mileage.

If I were you and trying to get it done the "half azz" way, I would at a minimum, clean it all up, have the crank polished, check and re-size the rods, new bearings, and check clearances. Depending on which way you go, you may be tearing it down again in 500 miles.
Just what I expected, a lecture without addressing any of my specific concerns. It's not that you owe me any help, but if you're going to bother with a response, why not make it one that I can actually use?

If you can't tell, I have no one knowledgeable locally to ask. The only machine shop in town says he has never built an LS1, so I can't ask him about any of it or have any of the work done by him. So any way you go, I'm going to be entrusting my engine with someone I don't know and won't be close enough for me to drop in and check up on or ask questions. So, forgive me if I'm trying to understand the WHY before I just go throwing parts and money at the damn thing.

Everyone preaches about how reliable and awesome these motors are, and yet two of the three I have owned have had major oiling issues for no apparent reason. I run synthetic oil in them, changed every 5000 miles (overkill), I don't race them, they are not highly modified, and I never rev above 6200. Yet for some reason I am getting lectured about "not doing things the right way".

Now, can we try to start this again?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, for your edited comment of "your oil pressure did not necessitate teardown", I think you would disagree if you KNEW FOR A FACT that this motor used to make 20psi higher across the board than it does now. You would KNOW something was wrong and you would not TRUST IT to drive far from home in without knowing if a rod or bearing was about to fall out the bottom of it.

I would consider that "doing it right".
Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My intention was not a lecture...

For an engine to last and be reliable, it has to be built right. All these issues tend to end up at Human Error most of the time. Installing ARP hardware and not re-sizing the rods is just the wrong way to do it. It makes you wonder "what else" was done wrong.

Was the engine oil primed before the first start-up?

My advice would be to either tear it completely down and rebuild it or sell it and buy a complete 6.0 or something.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
My intention was not a lecture...

For an engine to last and be reliable, it has to be built right. All these issues tend to end up at Human Error most of the time.
Well, I don't know how well it was built, since I didn't see the work being done. But, it went in and fired up, and ran perfectly for 33k miles. So I would tend to think that it was "built right".

Installing ARP hardware and not re-sizing the rods is just the wrong way to do it. It makes you wonder "what else" was done wrong.
Well, let's say that the ARP bolts were the cause of a problem. Wouldn't the rod bearings look bad, if that was the cause? Wouldn't there be oval wear patches, like in this thread?: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...oing-come.html

And since there is no such wear present on my rod bearings, wouldn't it be reasonable to say that they did not cause any issues with rod bore warpage in my specific engine?

So putting that aside, what else do you have to do to keep an LS engine alive? Keep it full of coolant? Check. Not let it overheat? Never been over 215. Check. Keep it full of quality oil that is changed regularly? Always had castrol synthetic changed ever7 5k. Check. Not rev it too high? Rev limiter set to 6200 in my truck when it last ran. Check.

Tell me...what more should I have done differently? Is there a magic wand I was supposed to have waved over this thing to "do it right"? I'm being serious here. I want to learn what I have done wrong, so that it does not cause any future problems.

Was the engine oil primed before the first start-up?
Absolutely. When it was a zero mile rebuild in my truck, I cranked it with the fuel injectors unplugged for several 5 second periods until oil pressure registered, then plugged in the injectors and fired it up. I ran dino oil in it for the first 500 miles then switched to synthetic.

When I swapped it into the corvette I repeated the same priming procedure since it had sat for a year+ since it last ran. It had 6 quarts of castrol synth 5-30 in it when it lost oil pressure.

My advice would be to either tear it completely down and rebuild it or sell it and buy a complete 6.0 or something.
Well, I would rather go with a full build than a used motor. BUT I need more information about the head milling situation I've mentioned above. That is why I am hesitant to tear it down and do a full build. It's not due to laziness or even money. I don't want to have to get another set of heads or pushrods because the heads have already been milled too much. If I get good information that the heads will not present a problem for reuse after removal, then I'll go ahead with a full build and try again to "do it right", whatever that means.

Last edited by RotaryResurrection; 05-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your cam bearings look rough to me. Any nicks at all in them is not good and will cause pressure drop. The ARP rod bolts made the rod bearing wear in odd and got loosened up due to the rods not being honed after ARP install. These 2 things combined to make it lose pressure, and the more pressure you lose the faster you lose it.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I would take the heads off and do it right.I don,t see why you would have to mill the heads again. Just get new head gaskets and clean them.You might be better off just getting a short block and put you heads on that. I bet the price wiil be pretty close and you will know everything will be new and right.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heads will be fine, IMO.

You can have them checked for flatness if you're that worried about it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
The heads will be fine, IMO.

You can have them checked for flatness if you're that worried about it.
I'm worried that they've already been milled 0.030 from what I was told, they'd probably need to go at least 10 more, and there has to be a point at which pushrod length and piston to valve clearance become an issue, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I would take the heads off and do it right.I don,t see why you would have to mill the heads again. Just get new head gaskets and clean them.You might be better off just getting a short block and put you heads on that. I bet the price wiil be pretty close and you will know everything will be new and right.
Define "get a short block".

New? Used? Why would I be inclined to trust a used motor, when no one can explain the problem with this low mile rebuilt motor?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
I'm worried that they've already been milled 0.030 from what I was told, they'd probably need to go at least 10 more, and there has to be a point at which pushrod length and piston to valve clearance become an issue, right?
Why would they need to be milled again? There is nothing wrong with removing the heads and then reinstalling them as is. Only need to mill them to get them flat in the event you've over heated the engine or want to raise compression.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

It looks like the bearings have groves in them. Can you feel those lines with your fingernail? Do you run a magnetic oil drain plug, or have u cut open your oil filter to check for metal shavings or foreign objects?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
Why would they need to be milled again? There is nothing wrong with removing the heads and then reinstalling them as is. Only need to mill them to get them flat in the event you've over heated the engine or want to raise compression.
Oh...

I was under the impression (from like, every mechanic and machine shop I've ever been around) that you had to machine the head anytime it came off, and that failure to do so was not "the right way".

The problem I have is there are so many opinions with this stuff. One guy will say X is fine, another guy will say it is junk, another guy will say it's completely okay to reuse, another guy will say you can't. It's hard to know who to believe.

Last edited by RotaryResurrection; 05-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

25 psi @ hot idle and 35-40 revving on a manual gauge is no cause for alarm. Was the 45-70 psi in the truck recorded with a manual gauge or with the trucks not so accurate gauge? Personally I would have let it ride, but I suppose that ship has set sail....

At a minimum, I would re-bearing and polish the crank and resize the rods. Don't really care for the looks of the cam bearings either. Anything short of that is a crapshoot at best.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTA Matt
25 psi @ hot idle and 35-40 revving on a manual gauge is no cause for alarm. Was the 45-70 psi in the truck recorded with a manual gauge or with the trucks not so accurate gauge? Personally I would have let it ride, but I suppose that ship has set sail....

At a minimum, I would re-bearing and polish the crank and resize the rods. Don't really care for the looks of the cam bearings either. Anything short of that is a crapshoot at best.
Well, the electrical gauge in the truck and later in the corvette both agreed. In fact I have a video of the corvette after the swap was first installed and idling, and the dash gauge actually shows 46psi at 800 idle at 190 coolant temps. http://s293.photobucket.com/user/gsl...09b5d.mp4.html

Then the same dash gauge was indicating 16-20psi oil pressure at idle after (whatever happened) happened.

Then a separate mechanical gauge was also applied and it agreed with the electrical dash gauge...it showed maybe 5psi more than the dash gauge, but that still put the engine at 25 @ hot idle and 35-40 driving.

Now if that motor had showed similar numbers from day 1 of it's life, then maybe that would be one thing. But for it to have 65 one minute and 35 the next, something has happened suddenly somewhere along the line and it would seem irresponsible not to find out how it got hurt and fix it.

I'm sure if I had run the thing until it lost almost all pressure and then took it apart to find out it was a boat anchor, some of you guys here would have been the first ones in line to lecture me about being dumb by running it after I knew it was hurt.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Cut open your oil filter and look for debri.... Post pics.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry I can't see the damage, could you post larger pictures?

Quick Reply: oil pressure issue, pics of teardown, what was the cause?