Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak from the back of the crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil leak from the back of the crankshaft?

Anybody with an automatic trans set up ever seen oil leaking around what appears to be a casting (looks like a freeze plug you would see in a head) plug that is in the back of the crankshaft?

I had oil puddled in this spot when I pulled the trans/torque converter back (the snout of the converter slides up into the back of the crank opening) - and I have oil spray strewn out from the center all over the flexplate.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep there is a small plug in the back of the crank closing the hole in the center. Yours is either loose or damaged in some way. Would have been nice if gm would have done something a little more durable for that hole. It doesn't take much to mess with it.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Yep there is a small plug in the back of the crank closing the hole in the center. Yours is either loose or damaged in some way. Would have been nice if gm would have done something a little more durable for that hole. It doesn't take much to mess with it.
Okay - so at least I'm not crazy here in what I see going on.

I wonder if I should try to knock it out and replace it or just clean it well and put some sealant around it?????
Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well if you hit on it, it is going to drop into the oil pan. So don't do that. I'm not sure what to suggest. I guess you could carefully clean it and see why its leaking. Maybe put a bead of silicone around the edge of it?

Best fix would be to know it out and replace it but like I said if you push on it, it will drop into the oil pan.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you hit on it, it is going to drop into the oil pan. So don't do that. I'm not sure what to suggest. I guess you could carefully clean it and see why its leaking. Maybe put a bead of silicone around the edge of it?

Best fix would be to know it out and replace it but like I said if you push on it, it will drop into the oil pan.
Is this plug only used on the LS-1? Reason I ask, prior to purchasing my 02 TransAm, they replaced the rear oil seal. Now, a few months later I have yet another oil leak at the back of the engine. I checked a used 5.3 that I have and a factory fresh 2002 6.0 and neither have the plug.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure but anything that uses a gun drilled crank will need the plug.

Probably only going to find it on GMs high performance engines. Not the truck stuff..
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure but anything that uses a gun drilled crank will need the plug.

Probably only going to find it on GMs high performance engines. Not the truck stuff..
Did some research and the truck engines are not drilled and do not have this plug. Question, did GM change the drilled crank design or do all ls1's have the drilled crank? All I have found so far is that this drilled crank started in 1997, no end date.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I have the engine out and the pan off. If I could find the correct plug I'd replace it.

I imagine the oil coming through the crank can and is pushing out there
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
I have the engine out and the pan off. If I could find the correct plug I'd replace it.

I imagine the oil coming through the crank can and is pushing out there
I believe the correct GM part number is 24502262. gmpartsdirect or your local GM dealer or Ebay..
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

I believe ALL LS series have the high performance gun drilled crank.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I called the local engine rebuilder too and he told me something interesting. The AERA (automotive engine rebuilder association) has a TSB out - 2267 in think) that addresses the "high performance LS series of GM engines that may develop an oil leak in this area. Often mistaked for a failed rear main seal.

The plug is 27.79 mm and must be installed 1.228-1.240 in the rear.

Also the rear cover is known to have porosity leading to leaks that can be sealed with RTV or replaced.

Quick Reply: oil leak from the back of the crankshaft?