Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my build and make sure I've got everything planned out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Critique my build and make sure I've got everything planned out...

Ok so this summer I plan to work two jobs to pay for these mods. That being said, yes, this is budget build.

1999 camaro a4
stock everything, except lid and has lm2 exhaust
136xxx miles
Mods:
TSP 224R cam package 114 lsa
Melling High Volume Oil Pump with new O-Ring
LS2 Timing Kit (chain+sprockets)
Comp-Cams Retro-Fit Trunion Kit
New Front Seal
Tune
Now I can't decide which used intake, ls6 with p/p tb or fast 92/92. $400 seemed like a lot of money for the extra HP that I probably won't feel. I don't really care what number I make on the dyno so that isn't a factor. I just think that it could be used for headers down the road and have a greater effect.

With an engine of this milage are there any other internal modifications/rebuilds I should?

Last edited by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28; 05-16-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Updating Build List
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally wouldn't bother with the shortblock unless you have about $3k extra set aside for all the parts and necessary machine work to get it right.

unless it's burning oil I'd just leave it alone. you could replace the bearings if you want but if you kept up on regular changes and kept your oil clean then I don't think that would be necessary either.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of notes. (I assume you're going through TSP)
1- Melling high volume is cheaper than a ported LS6
2- Could probably just go with an LS2 chain (45 for just chain, 110 for whole set)
3- Gonna need a new front seal
4- Do the trunion upgrade, its pretty cheap, and the stock bearings are crap
If you just get the LS2 chain, you'll save 15 bucks total and get one more item
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Ok sounds good... I read on here somewhere that a common thing to do is swap rod bolts while its open? Other than that I was just gonna see if there was anything I was forgetting...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
Couple of notes. (I assume you're going through TSP)
1- Melling high volume is cheaper than a ported LS6
2- Could probably just go with an LS2 chain (45 for just chain, 110 for whole set)
3- Gonna need a new front seal
4- Do the trunion upgrade, its pretty cheap, and the stock bearings are crap
If you just get the LS2 chain, you'll save 15 bucks total and get one more item

Thanks, I'll add those to my parts list. For the Trunion kit, the only one I found was the Comp Cam Retro-Fit rocker arm kit so I assume that is the kit your talking about?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
Ok sounds good... I read on here somewhere that a common thing to do is swap rod bolts while its open? Other than that I was just gonna see if there was anything I was forgetting...
Don't do it unless you're prepared to pull the rods and have them checked for roundness / resized afterwards. You're playing with fire if you slap them in without checking the effect it has on your bearing clearances.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
Don't do it unless you're prepared to pull the rods and have them checked for roundness / resized afterwards. You're playing with fire if you slap them in without checking the effect it has on your bearing clearances.
Ah ok, Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have a good ballpark estimate for how much all this will cost to get installed? I've been quoted at 600 for the cam install and intake install. That was before all the other parts.

And no, I cannot do this myself. I do simple maintenance on the car but internal engine work is where I draw the line.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Long Tubes down the road? I would upgrade headers before intake. Stock manifolds are garbage. If you have the budget, do them at the same time. Save yourself the hassle.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Does anyone have a good ballpark estimate for how much all this will cost to get installed? I've been quoted at 600 for the cam install and intake install. That was before all the other parts.

And no, I cannot do this myself. I do simple maintenance on the car but internal engine work is where I draw the line.

Thanks
They have write-ups so in-depth my wife could perform a cam swap. All you need are basic tools and a good torque wrench. It's a simple remove/replace process. I know it's not for everybody but if there is the slightest chance you feel you could follow the directions, you could save yourself some serious coin by doing so. Check out the link I provided.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Long Tubes down the road? I would upgrade headers before intake. Stock manifolds are garbage. If you have the budget, do them at the same time. Save yourself the hassle.
Ya, I've been was going to do that at home when I decide what to go with. I haven't decided whether LT'S>Tru-duals or LT'S>Dual E-Cutouts>Y-Pipe

As for the Camshaft swap. There is a lot of things that I just don't trust myself with. I've never worked on engine internals before. If this was any engine other than my LS1 I'd probably try it myself. Unfortunately I don't have any engines to do this with. That is why I'm gonna take it in.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Ya, I've been was going to do that at home when I decide what to go with. I haven't decided whether LT'S>Tru-duals or LT'S>Dual E-Cutouts>Y-Pipe

As for the Camshaft swap. There is a lot of things that I just don't trust myself with. I've never worked on engine internals before. If this was any engine other than my LS1 I'd probably try it myself. Unfortunately I don't have any engines to do this with. That is why I'm gonna take it in.
Right on man, fully understandable. Hopefully you can find a reputable shop to do the work as well as give you a good deal on the install. I know it can get pricey.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Right on man, fully understandable. Hopefully you can find a reputable shop to do the work as well as give you a good deal on the install. I know it can get pricey.
Ya I have no problem doing exhaust work because I can't seriously mess up the engine doing it. Worse thing I could get is an exhaust leak. However when I read about vacuum leaks etc with the intake side, that's when I decide to take it in. I'm building this on a summer job budget and the last thing I need is a new engine.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Where are you located?
Streator IL area
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good, I would say if you have the extra money definitely spring for the fast intake you will probably gain 20whp with a decent home port job over the ls6 possibly more and I'm partial to true duals for the sound and a little more power
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
Looks good, I would say if you have the extra money definitely spring for the fast intake you will probably gain 20whp with a decent home port job over the ls6 possibly more and I'm partial to true duals for the sound and a little more power
Hmmmm... Interesting, I was gonna go for the ls6 and use the $400 for SFC's and possibly a shift kit. I figured those would have a more pronounced effect on driving then the HP increase. I looked and saw people using the ls6 on full heads cam setups so I figured my cam only would be fine. If I can find a really good deal for the fast then I'll think about it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

what tranny you running? what gears? usually a stall and gears will give you more for your money. with 224 cam, you will also need hardened pushrods and springs (pac1218s best for quality and durability, 145 on ebay). ls2 timing chain will do. melling oil pump will do. intake, keep yours until you can afford and come up on a good deal on a fast. ls6 intake is good but eventually youre probably gonna end up with a fast so might as well save money now for later.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by low2001gmc
what tranny you running? what gears? usually a stall and gears will give you more for your money. with 224 cam, you will also need hardened pushrods and springs (pac1218s best for quality and durability, 145 on ebay). ls2 timing chain will do. melling oil pump will do. intake, keep yours until you can afford and come up on a good deal on a fast. ls6 intake is good but eventually youre probably gonna end up with a fast so might as well save money now for later.
Ya the rods and springs are included in the cam kit if I didnt list it. As for the fast I was considerimg keeping mine and doing a fast 92/92 when I do my exhaust. I'll have to wait though...

I'm an A4, I was thinking of doing gears when I get a rear end girdle...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok so recently I've been reconsidering my cam choice. After watching videos and people dyno's results it doesn't seem like it won't get my to where I want to be. I know in my first post I said the # doesn't matter however I want to reach that 400rwhp number. So I thought about two options. Having Pat G custom spec my cam, or stepping up to the TSP 228R.

My problem though is TSP recommends a higher stall for the 228R. There is absolutely no room in my budget for the a stall+install. Is there an off the shelf cam that is the largest cam for the stock stall? Or should I just have Pat G custom spec it?

Quick Reply: Critique my build and make sure I've got everything planned out...