Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression ratio and cam question

Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Compression ratio and cam question

I have a 2001 stock bottom end.

Put a cam in it based on ... 1 it was available, and 2 i was planting on going with an A&A supercharger.

The cam is a 239/247 .624/.624 on a 114 LSA... love the way it sounds, plain nasty.

other mods are a set of ported 241 heads.
GM MLS head gaskets.
4:11 gears
xs power 1 3/4 long tubes into a custom cat back.
ported LS6 intake and 85MM throttle body.

I am wanting a bit more torque ... and sooner... would bumping the compression by milling the heads help . ... I have also noticed that when doing WOT pulls the car burns a bit of oil... every time.. I"m wondering if i should step up to ARP head studs instead of the stock style head bolts ( bought new with the head swap)

my last dyno which flat lined at 5700 RPM presumably due to stock throttle body and MAF. after porting the LS6 and the bigger throttle body and a much better air intake than the freebie i had on there the car very noticeable picked up in the HP range.. but of course all above 3700 RPM.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With that cam your car should not be peaking at 5700 rpm even with the stock TB and MAF. It should be more like 6200 or so. You could mill the heads and whatnot, but more compression is not really the best idea if doing a blower at some point
Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
With that cam your car should not be peaking at 5700 rpm even with the stock TB and MAF. It should be more like 6200 or so. You could mill the heads and whatnot, but more compression is not really the best idea if doing a blower at some point
It litterally flat lined to 6500 where we stopped.

I am looking at not doing a blower at this point.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a pretty damn big cam for a stock cube motor and definitely shouldn't be flatlining at 5700 rpm's. Maybe you got some valvetrain issues that need to be sorted out. Anywho, compression I think would definitely help but then you'll have to worry about PTV clearance.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a cam that size, your not going to be milling anything much. I would start lookin into a piston set or fly cutting before hand cause that needs to be at the top of your list
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Launching!

If I get new pistons I will go ahead a d stroke it. ... I have not dunked the car since but since I redid the I take and tweaked the tu e it pulls much harder.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yonerhottlt1
That's a pretty damn big cam for a stock cube motor and definitely shouldn't be flatlining at 5700 rpm's. Maybe you got some valvetrain issues that need to be sorted out. Anywho, compression I think would definitely help but then you'll have to worry about PTV clearance.
this

i doubt that you could really take advantage of a cam that big with stock-ish heads and intake and you're not going to be able to do much appreciable head milling without running into ptv issues. i'd look at something in the 228-23x range duration wise with a lower lift....something that has an earlier intake close event to boost your dynamic compression. with lower lift also, that gives you more options in terms of head milling / running thinner gaskets. I'd recommend cometic 0.040 gaskets also to improve your quench. talk to one of our vendors to help you pick out a cam. Martin from Tick is excellent to deal with.

also I would not replace your head bolts with studs unless you plan on resizing your bores via torque plate hone. the studs load the metal differently than bolts and will likely distort your bores worse than what they are already. how many miles are on the motor?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all lift has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance. Second its his duration in combination of the LSA which makes it harder to mill the head down and get higher compression out of the cam. The 114 lsa actually helps him a little. He can flycut and mill it some and run a .040 gasket though.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
First of all lift has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance. Second its his duration in combination of the LSA which makes it harder to mill the head down and get higher compression out of the cam. The 114 lsa actually helps him a little. He can flycut and mill it some and run a .040 gasket though.
Maximum valve lift doesn't affect P to V, but tappet lift at TDC(lobe lift at TDC) does. The more aggressive the lobe is off the base circle and the steeper the rate it accelerates(how far and how quickly it lifts the valve) determines P to V along with gasket thickness, valve diameter, chamber volume, piston volume and if the piston is in, out or zero decked in relation to the deck surface of the engine.

I can take a given engine combination that has given amount of valve drop, a given head gasket thickness and the piston out of the hole a certain amount and run one cam that has an identical duration@.050" as another, but gain a large amount of P to V in the process. How quick that lobe is off the seat has a large affect on P to V as the valve is seated or closest to its seat when the piston is at TDC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compression ratio and cam question