Sponsored by:

Oil pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pressure test

98 LS1
where can i hook up a mechanical gauge to test oil pressure? Im pretty sure i have a bad sending unit but want to make sure.

I have the intake manifold off right now thinking i could just pull the sending unit and test from there. Then i realized theres no room to get a wrench on the sending unit.

So 2 questions: Where can i test oil pressure from on a 98 ls1?
And how do you get the sending unit out?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bp m1009
98 LS1
where can i hook up a mechanical gauge to test oil pressure? Im pretty sure i have a bad sending unit but want to make sure.

I have the intake manifold off right now thinking i could just pull the sending unit and test from there. Then i realized theres no room to get a wrench on the sending unit.

So 2 questions: Where can i test oil pressure from on a 98 ls1?
And how do you get the sending unit out?
they sell sending unit sockets for them at the parts stores and sears ect.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1694&ppt=C0195

I have used regular deep sockets on some and others I had to use the sender sockets.

it all depends on how tall the sender is. most ls1 senders are short enough to use a regular deep socket if you have a good selection

FYI the ls1 block uses a metric thread for the sender most oil pressure gauges wont have the correct size. I do not recall what it is off the top of my head so you may need to do some searching before you thread in a npt fitting
Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
they sell sending unit sockets for them at the parts stores and sears ect.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1694&ppt=C0195

I have used regular deep sockets on some and others I had to use the sender sockets.

it all depends on how tall the sender is. most ls1 senders are short enough to use a regular deep socket if you have a good selection

FYI the ls1 block uses a metric thread for the sender most oil pressure gauges wont have the correct size. I do not recall what it is off the top of my head so you may need to do some searching before you thread in a npt fitting
thats funny cause i ended up getting it out with some channel locks and then i went to go find a adapter for the gauge that fit the hole i couldnt find one! none of the adapters fit so i just went and returned the test gauge. Im just gonna buy a new pressure sensor. Do you know of a way to test the old sensor to see if its bad?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Update:
I replaced the oil pressure sensor with an acdelco one and the gauge still reads 0 when running. The engine sounds ok doesnt sound like the lifters arent pumping up or anything like that. The weird thing is, when i shut it off and take the key out the gauge will start to creep up to like 30psi??? Bad gauge?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the wiring pigtail and put a VOM across the terminals on the 200 ohm scale. Not sure what the values should be, but they will change from off to idle as pressure comes up. Well here, found this while Googling...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Remove the wiring pigtail and put a VOM across the terminals on the 200 ohm scale. Not sure what the values should be, but they will change from off to idle as pressure comes up. Well here, found this while Googling...
I dont get it, are you telling me to test my new sensor?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't you say you had the new sensor installed and no reading? VOM the NEW sensor with the engine off and then running. This will tell you if you have pressure or not, assuming the new sensor is OK. If you get a reading here and not at the instrument panel, you could have damaged wiring.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Didn't you say you had the new sensor installed and no reading? VOM the NEW sensor with the engine off and then running. This will tell you if you have pressure or not, assuming the new sensor is OK. If you get a reading here and not at the instrument panel, you could have damaged wiring.
0hhhhh ok got it. not sure how id get to the sensor with it running though lol might have to get creative

Quick Reply: Oil pressure test