Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible low compression on my ls1...options? lq9? rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible low compression on my ls1...options? lq9? rebuild?

hey guys looking for some thoughts and advise on what direction to go with my 99 vette. car has high miles 140k and i believe possibly low compression (digging into that soon). car made 426/407 with the current ls1, 6 speed. it has cnc landspeed ported 853 heads, tpis modded 90mm ls6 intake, small comp cam, cai, long tubes catback etc. the cam etc swap was done 500 or so miles ago and was done right (ho oil pump, timing set, lifters, trays, trunion upgrade, double springs...the whole deal) also has a new level 4 rpm trans ls7 clutch rebuilt torque tube etc.

if the compression is low what direction would be suggested to go engine wise? car is used as a street car, will most likely never see the drag strip or an auto x course and i would like to reuse as many of my new parts as possible. reading on the lq9 6.0 it seems to be the most inexpensive way to get the car back to right and driving if i do have low compression...if i can up the performance some while im going through all this that will be a huge benefit, keeping budget in mind of course. i understand the iron block is heavier, but i doubt i will notice how i intend to use the car.

can i expect any performance increase with the 6.0 and my above listed parts? suggestions on how to get some more performance if i go the 6.0 route? other suggestions?

i understand that there are plenty of engine builders that i can source a 5k shortblock from but that's not in my budget right now.

thanks guys
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no suggestions or thoughts?

Quick Reply: possible low compression on my ls1...options? lq9? rebuild?