Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question

my first post here besides the introduction. i have a 418cui lq4 stroker with afr heads. my first question is on the powerbond balancer. how far does it need to go in? does the same rule count like on standard balancers (0.094-0.176") thereīs some snouts like on my bigblock (round ones and square but just on the balancer, iīve read that they donīt have to be used but would it be good to do? what size would the pins be?
next are my scorpion rockers. they are 1.7 rockers and the etched number in them is 10000615 but found nothing in the web to find out what rockers they are. i have raised covers to clear the rockers but now iīm running into clearance problems with my accessorys (alternator). i have the gmpp corvette without a/c and i canīt mount the alternator without reworking the covers. can i run stock covers with the scorpion rockers (some of them are advertised as ready to install with stock covers). their height is 2.5cm which is almost an inch upward from the top of the rail. plus i could get rid of the coil relocation and mount the coils on stock location.
Attached Thumbnails powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question-img-20130529-wa0002.jpg   powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question-img-20130529-wa0001.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Are the rockers new? Scorpion had some issues with their early LS1 rockers. I've seen a couple crack. They have since fixed the problem with a redesign. Probably some of the best rockers you can buy now. Do your rockers look exactly like the one's on their site? If they have "ridges" on the top, they're the old design. I wouldn't use them. http://www.scorpioncheckout.com/Sear...lts.asp?Cat=78

Frank
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

hmmmm itīs those rockers. i think iīll shoot scorpion an email with that Picture to confirm if they fit under the stock covers but maybe somebody could still chime in here with a tip.
Attached Thumbnails powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question-lstech1.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to shim my Yella Terra rockers to get the correct geometry. In the end I had to do quite a bit of grinding of the valve cover bosses to gain enough clearance. This was the result of the shim height required to get a good wipe on the AFR heads because the valve stems were slightly longer. You may want to verify your wipe pattern first because if your AFR heads require a thicker shim to get the correct wipe pattern, the valve cover spacers may be your only option.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Teching In

ok iīll check on that. probably i could get a cheap set of used standard covers here in europe to check for clearance. tried to contact the scorpion guys over their Website but the email got returned as not able to deliver. thanks anyways

Quick Reply: powerbond balancer and scorpion rocker question