Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There HAS to be someone here with PRC 2.5 5.3s, TV2, and .040 gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow There HAS to be someone here with PRC 2.5 5.3s, TV2, and .040 gaskets...

Ok so here's the deal, I'm trying to find someone with the above mentioned mods because I'm trying to get a ballpark of whether or not PTV might be an issue. I searched around (for a couple days I swear) and I only found 1 old thread with a guy stating he was running this setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...v2-rx-7-a.html

But in that thread he doesn't state whether or not he had to flycut/what his PTV was. Also, even though I can't see the graph because it's a broken link, it seemed like people were saying his power numbers were a little weak.

So is there anyone here who could let me know they have run this setup and had good PTV without flycutting? And maybe even let me know what pushrods they ended up running? (with LS7 lifters)

Also, since I know these questions will be asked, here is why I'm looking at these specific mods.....

PRC 2.5 5.3s - It's not a drag car. If anything its more at home around the turns, so the end of the day, I'm pretty sure I would be happier with 5 more lb/ft of torque and 5 less HP over the LS6 heads Plus the extra greenbacks in my wallet should be nice to hold on to.

Torquer V2 - It's a proven cam with these heads that makes good power. I don't want the V3 because I don't want to beat the **** out of my springs, and anything bigger then that for a street car is pointless IMHO... If I was going to consider another cam it would be an EPS cam, but it seems like even small duration EPS cams can cause PTV issues so I would be rolling the dice. Also it's nice that TSP sells this cam in a kit with the heads to save a couple bucks.

Cometic .040 gaskets - I like torque. I know I could mill for free for the bump in compression, but I rather kill 2 birds with one stone (quench and SCR).

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay I run that exact combo, along with chromeoly pushrods. I bought the car this way, but was told there was no flycutting involved. This combo with all the usual bolt ons and 4.10 is an absolute blast. I think you will love it
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Okay I run that exact combo, along with chromeoly pushrods. I bought the car this way, but was told there was no flycutting involved. This combo with all the usual bolt ons and 4.10 is an absolute blast. I think you will love it
Nice thanks man. Yea I'm thinking it should be fun for a weekend car that sees the occasional autox. Have you ever had yours on the rollers? I'm expecting/hoping for around 430ish to the wheels, but I'm planning on tuning myself with HPTuners so I don't know when it will see a dyno...

Anyone else with any insight? I'll probably end up calling Texas Speed and asking them for some insight as well, but I figure the more info the better.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it made 405 rwhp on one dyno and 460 rwhp on another, so bottom line...I don't trust the damn dyno lol! It runs very strong for what it is so that's all that matters to me Also, as far as gaskets and whatnot I just have a basic GM bolt and gasket kit from TSP
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it made 405 rwhp on one dyno and 460 rwhp on another, so bottom line...I don't trust the damn dyno lol! It runs very strong for what it is so that's all that matters to me Also, as far as gaskets and whatnot I just have a basic GM bolt and gasket kit from TSP
Oh okay, yea I'm trying to find someone with .040 gaskets because that will bring PTV down from the GM gaskets. I think the GMs are .080.

Anyone???

Also a 50+ hp variation between dynos sounds about right
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha! Yeah tell me about it lol! BTW, what gears do you have? I have 4.10's and really love them with this combo, but I think the stock 3.42's would fair well too since this combo makes really strong mid-range power. I also have the LS6 intake as well
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha! Yeah tell me about it lol! BTW, what gears do you have? I have 4.10's and really love them with this combo, but I think the stock 3.42's would fair well too since this combo makes really strong mid-range power. I also have the LS6 intake as well
Yea I just have the stock 3.42s. Should be fine for now until I find 3 grand under the bed for a 9". My car has the LS6 intake as well. Should be fine for the setup; at least for now. lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice! Yeah I have the stock 10 bolt right now (but with a Trutrak upgrade) and am getting ready to hit it with a 100 shot lol Hey if it breaks...well that's part of the game lol
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Nice! Yeah I have the stock 10 bolt right now (but with a Trutrak upgrade) and am getting ready to hit it with a 100 shot lol Hey if it breaks...well that's part of the game lol
Yea I hear ya man. An awfully expensive game. lol
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Please, how come you guys can't seem to ever comprehend, year after year and thread after thread, that you need to measure to find PTV clearance value and pushrod length.
You'll not find the answer you seek on the net. There is no good shortcut, just lucky ones.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Please, how come you guys can't seem to ever comprehend, year after year and thread after thread, that you need to measure to find PTV clearance value and pushrod length.
You'll not find the answer you seek on the net. There is no good shortcut, just lucky ones.
Ahh yes, I was waiting for that comment. I'm sure you would be quick to post "you should have done your research" to a user that ran into problems with their build as well. The bottom line is I'm not trying to avoid measuring because I understand it is a necessity that is not worth "short-cutting" because it can lead to failure. I am simply looking for someone who can give insight who has run this setup. I'm sure numerous people have with how insanely popular these parts are. If some says "yea I ran this and had plenty of clearance" I would order confidently knowing I most likely wont be pulling the heads off and wasting expensive gaskets. But if some says "I had to fly cut because it was too tight" I wouldn't bother and run a slightly lower CR. But thanks for bringing my thread TTT though!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck
Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Good luck
Thank you
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, Predator is tough but extremely knowledgeable..

As far as the question about factory GM MLS gaskets, I'm nearly positive they .054-.056. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked mine after I pulled my heads and that's what they were showing on the digital mic.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

GM factory is .051
i'm going with the PRC 5.3 stage 2 with 61.5cc camber and the .040 gasket.
martin at tick preformance suggested this along with my torque max stage 2 cam.
He said i'd have no problems with PTV
I'll post numbers once everything is in and it's dyno'ed. oh btw, i'm gonna be running 3.90 gears
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Lol, Predator is tough but extremely knowledgeable..

As far as the question about factory GM MLS gaskets, I'm nearly positive they .054-.056. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked mine after I pulled my heads and that's what they were showing on the digital mic.
Oh ok thanks, I guess the GM Gaskets weren't as thick as I thought. I know going from them to the .040 gaskets should give me about +.25 in SCR with unmilled 5.3s and stock pistons.

And I understand where Predator is coming from. I don't post here a lot but I've been a member long enough to know the way people get around here. They post questions that can't be answered from a computer, wait for the answer they want to hear from someone they don't know, and take that opinion as gold. Then when things don't work out they find themselves 3 miles up ***** creek freaking out about broken parts.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28M6TT
Oh ok thanks, I guess the GM Gaskets weren't as thick as I thought. I know going from them to the .040 gaskets should give me about +.25 in SCR with unmilled 5.3s and stock pistons.

And I understand where Predator is coming from. I don't post here a lot but I've been a member long enough to know the way people get around here. They post questions that can't be answered from a computer, wait for the answer they want to hear from someone they don't know, and take that opinion as gold. Then when things don't work out they find themselves 3 miles up ***** creek freaking out about broken parts.
Very well said lol! Yeah i'm only assuming that there was no flycutting with mine because that's what I was told. Then again I didn't do the install myself so I can't personally vouch for it
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

good set up should make some power.

I'm running a magic stick 4 its a little bigger than TV2 , I tried to squeeze every little bit out of it i could , most is in my signature , but i fly cut my pistion the intake was right at .095 and the exhaust .015 ,used a .045 gasket , and i spray the **** out of it , cut the pistons in the block, had a real good cutter from dave Lindley tools and he bought it back when i was done with it . Had a good quench area.

Do your math check ur pv clearence , push rod length, Quench area , compression static and dynamic that way u know. If u have not found it yet when milling ur heads its bout .006 a CC, so the 2.5stage-5.3 heads are bout 63cc after they work them, they rasie the roof alittle. So milling .024 gets about 59cc chamber, this will help u do some math on ur set up . if u already know all of this forgive me just trying to be helpful.

just throwing another set up out there .

Happy wrenching

Last edited by M1SERY; 05-30-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: left out information
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nathanWS6
GM factory is .051
i'm going with the PRC 5.3 stage 2 with 61.5cc camber and the .040 gasket.
martin at tick preformance suggested this along with my torque max stage 2 cam.
He said i'd have no problems with PTV
I'll post numbers once everything is in and it's dyno'ed. oh btw, i'm gonna be running 3.90 gears

That looks like a pretty nice setup. I've seen a lot of people going with those tick cams lately. Do know what your compression that will be?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M1SERY
good set up should makes some power.

I'm running a magic stick 4 its a little bigger than TV2 , I tried to squeeze every little bit out of it i could , most is in my signature , but i fly cut my intake right at .095 and the exhaust .015 ,used an .045 gasket , and i spray the **** out of it , cut the pistons in the block, had a real good cutter from dave Lindley tools and he bought it back when i was done with it . Had a good quench area.

Do your math check ur pv clearence , push rod lenght, Quench area , compression static and dynamic that way u know .

just throwing another set up out there .

Happy wrenching
Haha yea that MS4 is just a liiiiitle bigger. I'm sure it pulls like crazy up top, but I think I would be more happy on the street on the with the low-end torque.

Also I've thought about flycutting, but I good tool would set me back a decent amount of cash, and I wont be taking the motor out so it would be a PITA to get in there. Plus I would just be worried about getting every last shaving of metal out of there too. Maybe one day if I ever do the bottom end I'll throw some pistons in there with valve reliefs and run a tighter setup. But for now I'm not concerned with max effort, just having some fun

Quick Reply: There HAS to be someone here with PRC 2.5 5.3s, TV2, and .040 gaskets...