Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Oil Leak After Pan Gasket Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Oil Leak After Pan Gasket Change

I was changing my oil pan gasket using an auto zone felpro gasket when i cracked my oil and chipped a piece off while tightening the bolts on one side. What i did wrong was try to tighten one side at a time thinking i would be good and then tightening the other side. I then went and got another oil pan and just installed it today and this time carefully tightening all the bolts equally. After tightening and putting everything back together...i went and pour a whole 1 gallon of mobil 1 into the engine and started it up and thats when i heard something leaking....i looked under the car and all the oil had quickly rushed all on the ground as if coolant were when draining coolant out of the radiator..i then looked in the engine bay and there is oil all over the driver side part of the engine and the driver side part of the oil pan all on the driver side....

What went wrong? I should mention that i did not tighten the oil pan bolts to the recommended specs....i just tightened them to what i thought was tight enough...thinking out of fear i would crack the oil pan....again the oil seemed to have come out from the driver side of the oil pan only....

What should i do?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sold you this pan yesterday correct? If so i'm guessing you didn't swap the oil cooler plate that was bolted on there? That is for cars with oil cooler or aftermarket oil pressure sender, you need to take the one off your other oil pan. There is a hole for a aftermarket guage hook up currently on it. Look directly above the oil filter and you will see what i'm talking about.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Out in dumfries correct? I was in the gold impala? Man thank god its you i didnt know what to do...

No i didnt switch them i just put the gasket on and installed. I litterally poured the oil in about 2 hours ago in the dark and looked under with a flashlight and felt the top of the area you speak off and then went to my old pan and just gave up until tomorrow.

So just switch the oil cooler plates and everything will be good correct? Will i need a new gasket and can i simply switch it while the pan is still bolted to the engine or will i have to remove it again?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Use the gasket from your other plate(on the old oil pan)

2 10mm bolts that hold that cover on, you don't need to drop the pan. You'll be fine.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Ok cool. Thanks bro i appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Crazy Oil Leak After Pan Gasket Change