Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King or Clevite? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default King or Clevite? Why?

I've only built 1 motor (sbf 347) and its still alive and raising hell. My sbf machinist and mentor suggested I stick with clevite on that build. Now I'm rebuilding an ls motor with no guidance but the interwebz.

I can find King main/rod bearing kits for $68 shipped, or clevites for $100.

I'm not really too concerned with the price difference there.

Is there a "better" choice of the two? And do both brands come in .0001 +\- sizes?

I'll be using them on a rebuilt ls1/6 in a truck for street only use.

I know everyone one has their personal preferences, but it would be nice to hear why you prefer them.

Suggestions?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can't really say which is better. using clevite H's in my build.

but from my experience, you have to do clevite H if you're after 0.001" undersize....the P's are not offered in that size.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
can't really say which is better. using clevite H's in my build.

but from my experience, you have to do clevite H if you're after 0.001" undersize....the P's are not offered in that size.
Really? I found these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS6-LQ4-LS3-Clevite-Tri-Metal-Rod-Bearings-P-SERIES-STREET-01-/130902692024?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7a6890b8&vxp=mtr
I found these when I was searching for .001 tighter bearings. I assume since I'm running old used parts I may need to run at least a half shell tighter to take up some of the slop.

Do you know where I can find a .001 tighter rod bearing?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Never mind I found them...
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cant go wrong with either. Some builders swear by clevite, some by king. I personally like King/ACL since that's all they make. Clevite is part of the Mahle family, also a good company. You can get any size from either brand. Measure the crank, bolt on the main caps and measure them, bolt on new rod bolts and measure them, order bearings accordingly.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jenson
Cant go wrong with either. Some builders swear by clevite, some by king. I personally like King/ACL since that's all they make. Clevite is part of the Mahle family, also a good company. You can get any size from either brand. Measure the crank, bolt on the main caps and measure them, bolt on new rod bolts and measure them, order bearings accordingly.
New rod bolts? My researched found that the main and rod bolts were not tty, and are reuse able. I already had the big ends lightly honed with the stock rod bolts torqued down, so too late for new hardware...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
New rod bolts? My researched found that the main and rod bolts were not tty, and are reuse able. I already had the big ends lightly honed with the stock rod bolts torqued down, so too late for new hardware...
Yea your fine. Most replace the rod bolts due to spinning it higher or build for boost, just saw the part where this is for a street truck

Quick Reply: King or Clevite? Why?