Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant level light

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant level light

I have a 1999 Firebird Formula with 182000 miles. This car runs like it is brand new and i am the second owner. This car has never had any serious issues at all. But i went through the car wash the other day and shortly after leaving, my low coolant light came on. So i went and put some coolant in the reservoir and took it home, waited till it cooled, opened the radiator and changed the cap .the radiator and reservoir were full. The car does not overheat, run rough, smoke, no real bubbles in the coolant, nothing. So i ran it the other day till the light came on, carefully removed the cap off of the radiator with it running and found that the level had dropped. A few seconds later the level rose and i put the cap back on. I'm guessing the level dropping is due to thermostat regulation. So i am going to replace the level sensor next due to the fact that when the level rose back to normal (while the car was hot and still running) and the light never went off. Anyone ever run into this? what are yalls thoughts. Last resort is pulling off the heads and checking them and the gaskets. I just was wondering if i am missing something.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...e-repairs-102/, post here for this type of question next time. I would check to see if the sensor to see if its bad before replacing it. DO NOT pull the head, I highly doubt its a head gasket and if you want to do a test to a leak down test to determine if the head gasket is actually leaking. Don't just tear into something assuming its bad, that's how you waste time and money when it may be a small problem causing it.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the sensor...^ but he hit it right on the head.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta be the sensor. they go bad all the time. I just unplugged mine.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, before buying a new sensor pull the old one an clean it up good, that should keep the light of for about 1 month. The problem is if the coolant system isn't perfectly clean, then the sensor gets a film built up on it which causes the sensor to think the level is low, that's why in later years they did away with it. Myself I've got in the habit of when my low coolant light does happen to comes on in my 99 Z28 I just take a good look at the current engine temperature to make sure its not running warmer than normal.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

I pulled my coolant level sensor out and cleaned it still got the light. Go to autozone get the one that has lifetime warranty when it goes bad just bring it back.$49 but light has not come back on.

Quick Reply: Coolant level light