Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 215cc

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR 215cc

is there anyone running AFR 215cc heads on a stock displacement LS1? idk if the 215cc afr heads are too much for stock or not. im between the 210cc and 215cc....for that matteris there anyone on here running the 210cc? id like to hear reviews on both heads for stock cube LS1s. I will also be changing my cam and putting one in speced by tony mamo or pat g. I am also running a ported fast 92/92 intake with 98mm lid and 85mm TB. one more thing that u guys will find usefull for my inquiry, my car is not daily driven and it is a street car with a bit of track time in the summer. any info helps, thanks everyone.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one of the first things I asked Tony. I ended up going with the 215s on my 347 - from what I'm told they are definitely not too much for stock displacement. they maintain the port velocity of a smaller head but have a bit more of the top end flow capacity of a larger port. just an fyi - they have larger chambers than what would be normal on a 3.9xx bore, which means you have to run at least a 4.135" gasket.

From our PM's..

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
As far as the 215's go - do they offer any advantages aside from more breathing room up top over say the 210's, which seem to have been designed for my application (3.90x bore, explosive/torque oriented build), at least judging by the description on AFR's site? Also with the 215's and the larger bore gaskets they require, does that extra volume above the cylinder cause an measurable change in the cylinder fill characteristics? I've always thought of that land area as a "burr" in the airflow path, but again I'm no expert - just curious. Would like to hear your thoughts on that.
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
The 215's I rework will effectively give you the bottom end of the small heads and the top end of a head larger than 215....its the have your cake an eat it too scenario. The larger chamber actually unshrouds the valves....its a good thing...the air can negotiate around the small lip at the deck but if the valve is against the wall there certainly won't be any additional flow to take advantage of. While a big bore is even better to capitalize on the unshrouded chamber, an unshrouded chamber with a small bore still flows more than a shrouded chamber with a small bore....you follow me here?!
The 215s at least to me seemed like a no brainer - better on a stock displacement and also provides you with room to grow if you decide to add cubes. I'd PM the man though and get it from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 06-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Tony pointed me to the 215 as well. However, for the price, I think you can do better. No knock against Tony, it's just the truth. He steers you to the 215 and his "Mamofication process" and that makes it like $1000 more than TFS 215 heads. And I'm still not sure Mamofied 215s are any better than TFS 215s.

I went with TEA Stage 2 LS6 heads, because, hand ported, they are a notch above TFS 215s for less less money. That seemed like a better investment to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Im running out of the box 210's on my setup, they are bad *** on a 346, having said that if i were to do it again i'd go 215's, more room for movement in the future if you wanted more cubes, im now faced with buying a set of mamofied 245's for my next mission as i need more head (constant problem), cause the 210's aren't big enough for what im currently building
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Granted I am running a 102/102 setup, but I think the numbers from my PRC 215's speak for themselves. Not sure what difference the AFR's would make, but a 215 is definitely not too much head for stock displacement.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on guys, thanks for the info. What kind power are u guys making with the 215s? What exactly does the mamofication process include? Some special porting I'm guessing? Anyway I plan on having tony spec me a cam for max power without losing too much drivability. Right now I am running 2.5 LS6 heads with a 235/240 111LSA cam and its just not quite cutting it for me. I also picked up a black ported fast92/92. So Im hoping for some good results. Car is at 427rwhp on mustang dyno and runs 12.1@116 with sticking clutch pedal. Still trying to decide whether or not to pickup a 383 rotating assembly. Eh I dont know. We will see
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the engine is going in your F-body I would do the 215's.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
If the engine is going in your F-body I would do the 215's.
I agree and that's exactly what I. Gonna do. I'm leaning towards keeping stock bottom end to save cash for a better clutch. I wana do a 383 so bad tho
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Mamofied is hand porting basically. He cleans up the CNC and touches a few places without opening up the port more to get another 8-10cfm of flow. Then lighter valves are installed. Basically, it's what I did on my 243s.

Good things all, but at some point, you have to decide if the money invested is worth it. Starting with 243s + CNC + Hand work + hollow-stem LS3 valves is a lot less money than starting with an AFR casting + CNC + hand work + hollow-stem valves.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Mamofied is hand porting basically. He cleans up the CNC and touches a few places without opening up the port more to get another 8-10cfm of flow. Then lighter valves are installed. Basically, it's what I did on my 243s.
Also includes performance valve job, blueprinting, combustion chamber sizing / finishing, and spring set up. Attention to detail on every aspect there is.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

JakeFusion, did you do the "hand work" on your TEA heads, or is that part of the TEA Stage 2 process?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™

Good things all, but at some point, you have to decide if the money invested is worth it. Starting with 243s + CNC + Hand work + hollow-stem LS3 valves is a lot less money than starting with an AFR casting + CNC + hand work + hollow-stem valves.
Also includes performance valve job, blueprinting, combustion chamber sizing / finishing, and spring set up. Attention to detail on every aspect there is.
Thanks for the info guys. I have decided to pull the trigger on this. I Am gonna purchase the afr215cc heads mamofeid And a custom cam from tony that will get me the most gains on the dyno and the track. I allready have a ported fast 92 so I'm all set there. Can't wait to get all this installed and tuned. Id like to see 470+ rwhp and low 11 track time
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
I agree and that's exactly what I. Gonna do. I'm leaning towards keeping stock bottom end to save cash for a better clutch. I wana do a 383 so bad tho
If you are going to have the motor apart, then why not do the 383 if you can drop the cash for it? I wish i would have done that now, but it is too late for that for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
If you are going to have the motor apart, then why not do the 383 if you can drop the cash for it? I wish i would have done that now, but it is too late for that for me.
swapping heads and intakes is a lot simpler than tearing apart the shortblock - you open up pandoras box when you tear into that. I wouldn't do it unless you're prepared for a full on rebuild - there's a lot of cost / time involved in doing it right. if you're starting from a 346, it's going to be about 3k in parts and machining just to get the 383 in there (think crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, torque plate hone, balance assembly, and anything else the block needs - along with a crap load of other things you can justify with "while I'm in here"). That doesn't include any setup / assembly work.

At that point you're almost better off buying a 383 shortblock already preassembled, slap on your top end when you're ready, and go.

All of that aside, I must say I'm pretty tempted to do a 383 - I'm more than half way there - already have the 3.905 bore, all I'd have to do is swap out the crank, pistons, and cam. Maybe if I ever get bored with this setup I'll do that.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 06-20-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
JakeFusion, did you do the "hand work" on your TEA heads, or is that part of the TEA Stage 2 process?
TEA does it a little as part of the process. The full hand-finish I'm still trying to decide I want to send to Tooley for...

If the PtV is too close (and it will be close), I'm going to send to Tooley, flycut, and have Geoff spec me something like a 234/242 cam... the see if I can get close to 500rwhp in an A4.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

swapping heads and intakes is a lot simpler than tearing apart the shortblock - you open up pandoras box when you tear into that. I wouldn't do it unless you're prepared for a full on rebuild - there's a lot of cost / time involved in doing it right. if you're starting from a 346, it's going to be about 3k in parts and machining just to get the 383 in there (think crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, torque plate hone, balance assembly, and anything else the block needs - along with a crap load of other things you can justify with "while I'm in here"). That doesn't include any setup / assembly work.

At that point you're almost better off buying a 383 shortblock already preassembled, slap on your top end when you're ready, and go.

All of that aside, I must say I'm pretty tempted to do a 383 - I'm more than half way there - already have the 3.905 bore, all I'd have to do is swap out the crank, pistons, and cam. Maybe if I ever get bored with this setup I'll do that.
its over $4k not including tools, instrumentation, and gaskets
Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

383 was a good option for sbc but Imo in LS might as well go 400+
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am kind of on a budget here. At this point if I do anything to the internals it would prolly only be H-beam rods and valve relief pistons. These stock cranks Are supposed to be good for a lot of power so maybe I could either find a stock gm rank that will make my 383. Or even find an LS2/3 in a junkyard and just make that my h/c car. I don't have my def plans yet but I could either go with a smallish cam with the AFR 215cc heads and mamo 102. Only problem with 102 is I just bought a ported 02 from another vendor plus the fast 90 I also have I don't wana go the 102 route unless I can sell both my fast intakes in favor of a mamo 102. There are just too many variables at this point. Tony and I have alottp work out in order to find my perfect combo. Honestly. I have been seeing 346 ls1 engines up in the 480-490rwhp range with the afr 215, mamo 102 and custom cam. And that is exactly what I want.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know what it feels to be undecided to stroke or not to stroke, when I was building my LS1 i knew I wanted some heads and rods and pistons for some nitrous, but for all that work why not a crank as well and maybe leave out the nitrous, but once I started buying parts I coudnt stop, ended up with a 383,215 afr, 92 fast, raptor cam, made only 481rwhp, sent heads to get worked on 498rwhp, and 150 shot, could have made more I think on the tune but rather stay safe than to drive on the edge
Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
I know what it feels to be undecided to stroke or not to stroke, when I was building my LS1 i knew I wanted some heads and rods and pistons for some nitrous, but for all that work why not a crank as well and maybe leave out the nitrous, but once I started buying parts I coudnt stop, ended up with a 383,215 afr, 92 fast, raptor cam, made only 481rwhp, sent heads to get worked on 498rwhp, and 150 shot, could have made more I think on the tune but rather stay safe than to drive on the edge
Dude know I hate it! I'd honestly like to just stay with the 346 and not have to fly cut. But apparently the biggest cam I can go with is 227/231, I really don't wana fly cut at all I just want a little bit bigger cam like 232/234 or something. But if I have to fly cut I might as well just get dished pistons and up the confession while Im at it and like u Said I mighty swell spenda little extra and go 383. But I wana stay on a budget so Im not gonna tear into the motor. I am however gonna see if I can get the flycutting done with the motor in the car. And I'll just get the 215cc mamo AFRs with whAtever cam he recommends. And a ported fast 102. I think I am gonna get an electric water pump as well. I'm trying for 470rwhp@ minimum. I'd like to be closer to 485. Well tony thinks he can get me to 475 which I would be more than happy with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFR 215cc