Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Flowing Race Bullet: Dynomax 24219/24222 or Magnaflow 14419?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Flowing Race Bullet: Dynomax 24219/24222 or Magnaflow 14419?

I am trying to find out what the best flowing race bullet is to throw on the TSP true dual set up. I have been in contact with the tech departments of both companies and they have let me know that the Dynomax 24219/24222 flows 2200 cfm at 20.3" of water and the Magnaflow 14419 flows 777 cfm at 1000cfm free range at 28" of water. As they were both tested under different parameters I do not know how to compare the two as the design of both is very similar (perforated 3 inch tube with fiberglass acoustical packing around it. Also has anyone fit the longer Dynomax bullet (23.5" overall length vs the usual 16.5" overall length that people run) on the TSP true dual set up? Sound is a secondary concern but what do you guys think about the sound of both bullets on a TSP 1 7/8", 3 inch x pipe true dual, dumped at the axle for now run out to the back of the bumper by the end of the summer?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

BTW I have FM Super 10s on right now dumped before the axle with custom 3 inch stainless pipes connecting them to the TSP true dual style setup and even though they sound AMAZING the interior drone is slightly too much. I know bullets are not quiet but after talking to a respected exhaust friend in the industry when I visited my hometown last week (Fast Intentions Simi Valley, CA) he let me know that as the FM Super 10 is basically a chambered design with no packing it functions as an echo chamber when it comes to sound and that bullets would in fact decrease my interior drone so I am looking at that option.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never come across a loud exhaust dumped at the axle that doesn't drone
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Understand it is going to drone I am just looking for less drone than the Flowmaster one chambers which a friend that builds high performance custom exhausts every day informed me would be achieved by switching to bullets with fiberglass packing like the Dynomax and the Magnaflow. Just wondering which one flows more and any tone difference between the two. Don't really care that they won't sound as good as the FM 1 chambers or powersticks/sweet thunders per the forums I just want to see if one flows better and am curious how the sound differs between the two bullets. I have watched every youtube video available and ls1sounds just want to hear from people that have heard them in person or who may know which one flows better. For what it is worth the car will be cammed in a couple months with something along the lines of the TSP 233/239 or the SNS Stage 2/3 but by that time the exhaust will be run out to the rear bumper.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Those bullets will be even louder than the Single chamber Flowmasters. And I think the Dynomax outflows the Magnaflow, but both would be plenty in a dual configuration for lots of HP without any loss.

Formula is this:

Flow at the new pressure drop = (the square root of (new pressure drop/old pressure drop)) times CFM at the old pressure drop
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Those bullets will be even louder than the Single chamber Flowmasters. And I think the Dynomax outflows the Magnaflow, but both would be plenty in a dual configuration for lots of HP without any loss.

Formula is this:

Flow at the new pressure drop = (the square root of (new pressure drop/old pressure drop)) times CFM at the old pressure drop
Thanks so much for the info. I admire your build and have been reading your posts as I get into the LS platform and the site. I won't mind if the bullets are louder than the one chambers as long as the sound is more on the outside of the car and the interior resonance is decreased. Outside it just sounds like a healthy V8 but inside there is a ton of resonance and I have run dumped duals on my old schools (71 nova and 74 blazer) but this is a new level of interior noise/resonance. I pored over ls1tech and youtube for a month when I selected my one chambers but did not give enough thought to the flowmasters tendency to drone. If it wasn't my daily driver I would be fine with it as I have always had loud cars. Right now the plan is to switch to dynomax or magnaflow 3 inch race bullets with turn downs. In a few weeks I will get the stainless mandrel bent pieces to extend the exhaust all the way out to the bumper.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Your turn-downs need to be angled about 45 degrees off perpendicular to the ground. That will help a ton.

I had Flowmaster 10s on my Dodge Ram in college. Holy **** it was loud, but it sounded awesome. But the drone just flat out wears you down. Any kind of time in the car (like 30 mins or more) and you're ready for a beer when you get out.

And thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm always ready for a beer. Hell, I'm drinking beer right now.

I drive a few hours to the heliport when I go to work. I always have extra earplugs in the car
Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Hulk Smash

That's why I went duals out the back. Let me scare the **** out of whomever is behind me haha.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm always ready for a beer. Hell, I'm drinking beer right now.

I drive a few hours to the heliport when I go to work. I always have extra earplugs in the car
I remember seeing something about you having Magnaflow 14419 on the TSP dual set up? Is that the case and how has it been? Yes I have dumped one chamber flowmasters on my K5 Blazer but since it doesn't have a roof or doors there is not too much drone to speak of, plus the tires make a lot of noise in that car. I definitely have ear plugs in the car right now for any drives over an hour of which I have done quite a few 6 hour trips to southern California in the last month. The other problem is that when I get the mandrel bent stainless pieces to go out the rear they won't work on my one chambers as I had to put some intermediate pipes to get the mufflers away from the driveshaft/torque arm and still tuck them up high. The one chamber set up is really sweet and will bolt right up to a TSP dual set up and has stainless steel custom intermediate 3" pipes and hangers (I'll probably sell it soon to someone that wants something to bolt right up to a TSP exhaust for those that really want the one chamber sound and hopefully don't drive the car as much as I do).
Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

JakeFusion and dr_whigham thanks for helping me out as I decide on my bullets during the past month I've been admiring your builds, reading a lot of your posts and learning a lot from you guys!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Anyone have some good clips of Magnaflow 14419 on TSP duals with stock cams? Have looked at all the ones on youtube (very few) and sound quality is definitely lacking. Just want to make sure that with my stock cam it will still sound like an American V8 and not the foreign car/exotic sound I have seen coming out of some Magnaflow mufflers...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Actually I'm still banging the sweet thunders on the TSP duals, but they WILL be swapped out for Magnaflow (MagnaPack) 14419's.

After I did my MagnaMouth conversion I was sold. Completely. DEEP DEEP bass at idle, and NASCAR, yet refined to a point, at WOT
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Actually I'm still banging the sweet thunders on the TSP duals, but they WILL be swapped out for Magnaflow (MagnaPack) 14419's.

After I did my MagnaMouth conversion I was sold. Completely. DEEP DEEP bass at idle, and NASCAR, yet refined to a point, at WOT
Good to hear. How have the sweet thunders treated you? I thought about those as everyone on the forums seems to love how they sound until I found out the concerns about flow through the 2.5" ID and the louvers. As the sweet thunders are a smaller diameter (called them and they said 3 inch case diameter or 3.5 inch for the new 2.75 inch ID ones) do you foresee any issues just bolting the Magnaflow 14419 right up? I tried the 45 degree angle turndowns and am wondering if I should just stick them out to the side parallel with the ground when I throw the bullets on?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My sweet thunders with turndowns pointed straight down don't drone at all
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I've got mine pointing out at 45*. It doesn't seem to "pound" the ground do much, letting the sound go out the sides.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a few of my builds I've run dual 3" front to back, the 18"? dynomax bullets right off the headers, then into my X pipe, then FM super 40's out the the back.....loud, flows great, and you can still talk to your passenger as you drive down the highway...I found the closer to the front you can put the bullets the larger the sound and drone drop at part throttle, but at full throttle it still sounds like God is pissed and coming for someone's soul
Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you take your one chambers off send me a price,I'm planning on running them out the back thru CME, I'm hoping the CME will decrease the drone.

Good luck with your choice
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
When you take your one chambers off send me a price,I'm planning on running them out the back thru CME, I'm hoping the CME will decrease the drone.

Good luck with your choice
Will do. Right now they are connected to about 12 inch length of stainless 3" pipe each with the proper bends to get them away from the torque arm and driveshaft. Of course you can always just cut the extra stainless pipe off and they have around 15 hours total use so far. I will have to put up some pics as they actually tuck up higher than I have ever seen flowmaster one chambers on our car due to the BFH mod and the 12 inch length of stainless pipe which puts them up in the hump area and not directly under the floor pan.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

I've got mine pointing out at 45*. It doesn't seem to "pound" the ground do much, letting the sound go out the sides.
Yes mine are 45 degrees maybe even a little closer to parallel pointed out towards the side. When I throw the bullets on I am trying to find out whether I should go 45 degrees or just do it parallel with the ground shooting straight out to the side.

Quick Reply: Best Flowing Race Bullet: Dynomax 24219/24222 or Magnaflow 14419?