Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 102 & 102 TB - Popping through exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fast 102 & 102 TB - Popping through exhaust

I have a head/cam LS1 that I just put a Fast 102 intake and 102 TB. I have NOT yet had it re-tuned to match. I'm trying to get things up and running (was doing a dozen other things while I had it apart).

When I start the car, it pops hard out of the EXHAUST at idle. I can rev it up and hold it at a higher idle and that goes away.

I suspect it is extremely lean now in the idle range (36# injectors).

No MIL (as of yet) - just trying to get it warmed up to top off fluids, etc. I have a dyno tune date on 7/8 pending - but don't want to roll in there with it doing this IF this isn't a tune issue.

Prior to this with an LS6 intake and stock tb on the 36# injectors it ran great and put down 377 at the rear wheels at speed inc.

Is this common when swapping up PRIOR to the tune?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
I have a head/cam LS1 that I just put a Fast 102 intake and 102 TB. I have NOT yet had it re-tuned to match. I'm trying to get things up and running (was doing a dozen other things while I had it apart).

When I start the car, it pops hard out of the EXHAUST at idle. I can rev it up and hold it at a higher idle and that goes away.

I suspect it is extremely lean now in the idle range (36# injectors).

No MIL (as of yet) - just trying to get it warmed up to top off fluids, etc. I have a dyno tune date on 7/8 pending - but don't want to roll in there with it doing this IF this isn't a tune issue.

Prior to this with an LS6 intake and stock tb on the 36# injectors it ran great and put down 377 at the rear wheels at speed inc.

Is this common when swapping up PRIOR to the tune?
That is a dramatic change in throttle body size so the fact that it does not run right is no surprise. The popping is a not typical. Are the intake/throttlebody the only things changed this time?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Launching!

The intake and tb are the only "performance" changes. I also relocated the coils and replaced the rear main seal and a number of other maintenance issues.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are really lean and the tb change without a tune is a big deal. It will be fixed in the tune.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Launching!

I suppose it will have to go on the trailer to the tuner. I had hoped to baby it there. First dyno I blew the driveshaft out so the trailer was a good thing. Last time it went there and back under its own power.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I put a quick video together. I had to get it where it would idle long enough and strong enough to charge the new Vintage Gen IV a/c system. So, I slotted out a TPS and for the idle running it takes nearly all the pop out of the exhaust. I shot this video with the TPS in the stock spot and you can hear the distinct popping - sounds like a cheap .22 going off in a back alley. Then I ran the TPS up and started it again.

Was able to charge the a/c this way.

I don't want to trailer up to the dyno then find out I've got something else going on that delays that.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Launching!

problem solved - I did indeed mix up the coil input wires on bank 2. Pulled a schematic today and came home to compare. I want to be humble enough to admit regardless of my best intentions to mark what came apart - when I pulled them out of the loom to hook to the relocation bracket I goofed. Man...it sounds SOOOOO good back among the land of the healthy living.

Quick Reply: Fast 102 & 102 TB - Popping through exhaust