Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cat Converter installed/Flashing SES Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cat Converter installed/Flashing SES Light

I had my passenger side cat converter replaced on my 2002 WS6 today with an aftermarket (CA approved) cat. Drove it back to work-no problems. On the way home, my SES light starts flashing and the car runs a little strange/rough. The light eventually goes off but the car felt like it was running weird.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

I think a flashing SES light indicates a misfire. How old are the spark plugs? Check to see if one is loose.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I believe the spark plugs are as old as the car. May be a dumb question, but could one of them have been knocked loose when the cat was replaced today???
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A flashing SES indicates a condition that threatens the emission system. It can be a misfire or other condition such as rich or lean mixture. It typically does not set a code unless the condition persists. Since it just came from the shop, I would start by looking for a wire left off or loose - spark plug wire, O2 sensor, etc.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Is it safe to drive it back to the shop? I thought it was emitting a foul smell, too, but that may have been paranoia.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrparrish
Is it safe to drive it back to the shop? I thought it was emitting a foul smell, too, but that may have been paranoia.
The only thing at risk is the emission system (which is the catalytic converters) and it is not a risk if the flashing stops and no code sets. The foul smell could be the new cat "burning in."
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
The only thing at risk is the emission system (which is the catalytic converters) and it is not a risk if the flashing stops and no code sets. The foul smell could be the new cat "burning in."
Thank you very much. I hope it is something simple vs. the car rejecting the cat or something that requires me to pay a dealership to put on an OEM cat.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I believe the spark plugs are as old as the car. May be a dumb question, but could one of them have been knocked loose when the cat was replaced today???
No but that could have caused the cat to go out in the first place.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Thank you very much. I hope it is something simple vs. the car rejecting the cat or something that requires me to pay a dealership to put on an OEM cat.
If the new cat itself is not working properly it would throw a specific code based on catalytic effiiciency, but it would not cause a flashing SES which indicates a problem upstream of the catalytic converters.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
No but that could have caused the cat to go out in the first place.
Possibly, but there presumably would have been warnings - flashing SES and/or codes thrown as that was occurring.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
If the new cat itself is not working properly it would throw a specific code based on catalytic effiiciency, but it would not cause a flashing SES which indicates a problem upstream of the catalytic converters.
Just an update. I took it back to the muffler shop this morning. The code was for a misfire in bank 2 if I recall correctly. He got under the car for about 10 seconds and didn't see any loose wires. I thought it was a hell of a coincidence that this problem arose just hours after having the passenger side cat replaced. I had no choice but to take it to the dealer$hip.

Quick Reply: New Cat Converter installed/Flashing SES Light