Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double checking head gasket thickness

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double checking head gasket thickness

I have ported 243's with 65cc's I'm going to install on my LS1 so going off the sticky thread I should be at 10.4cr with a .060 gasket, 10.6cr with a .051 gasket, and 10.7cr with a .040 gasket.

SO I'm wondering if I'll be alright with the .040 gasket or would I have any issues?

No cam yet because I need to figure out my gasket thickness for the Pat G questionnaire.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally you would look at the platform of intended use. If it is NA then you need to optimize quench and squish - ~ 0.030 to 0.035 being the range that is recommended. This is for optimal efficiency for flame travel over the piston surface area. If you are using NOS under a 300 shot then tune it NA and pull timing. Over 300 then other factors come into play or tend to be much more important.

You need to take into consideration lift of IVC and EVC events if you're eyeballing a high lift narrow LSA design - especially with larger rocker ratios. If you optimize quench and use a radical cam then you will need to consider clearancing the pistons for PTVC.

Every build is different. You can get general ideas from the stickies but in reality it boils down to your intended purpose and measurement(s).
Old 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Ideally you would look at the platform of intended use. If it is NA then you need to optimize quench and squish - ~ 0.030 to 0.035 being the range that is recommended. This is for optimal efficiency for flame travel over the piston surface area. If you are using NOS under a 300 shot then tune it NA and pull timing. Over 300 then other factors come into play or tend to be much more important.

You need to take into consideration lift of IVC and EVC events if you're eyeballing a high lift narrow LSA design - especially with larger rocker ratios. If you optimize quench and use a radical cam then you will need to consider clearancing the pistons for PTVC.

Every build is different. You can get general ideas from the stickies but in reality it boils down to your intended purpose and measurement(s).
I want to keep all clearances as is, it's an NA build so I would like to max quench and CR without having to clearance anything. So if I can get away with a .036-.04 gasket then ill use it. So I'm just looking to see if anyone has had problems or see's any potential problems with using the skinniest gasket possible.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Before you can figure quench, the OP needs to know how much the piston comes out or is below the hole. He needs to calculate his deck height in correlation to where the piston is at TDC. After he knows this, then he can select a headgasket. Most guys that give info here seem to leave this important measurement out when talking about quench. From my experience not all LS motors are equal and vary as to how much the pistons come out of the hole.

OP you need to measure.
I really doubt I'll pull the heads to measure but I'll be sure to measure when I tear down for the cam. Nothing is ever simple. Thanks Bozz
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Before you can figure quench, the OP needs to know how much the piston comes out or is below the hole. He needs to calculate his deck height in correlation to where the piston is at TDC. After he knows this, then he can select a headgasket. Most guys that give info here seem to leave this important measurement out when talking about quench. From my experience not all LS motors are equal and vary as to how much the pistons come out of the hole.

OP you need to measure.
Most guys tend to assume things that shouldn't be assumed. I had not read the thread but assumed deck height and piston height were mentioned if discussion of compression ratios were given. If you're talking about headgasket thickness without the common sense to measure your own block then you have no business building the motor.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

If it's a stock shortblock, .006 to .010" out of the head is a good guesstimate when purchasing parts. Of course you measure at TDC, and if you do, you can always order gaskets and overnight them to you. But .040" should be safe. If you had a blueprinted shortblock, .036" would be acceptable if it were Zero Decked.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some equations I used that may help you. Good luck with the build!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/145057435/...RAFT-01-Jun-13
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
If it's a stock shortblock, .006 to .010" out of the head is a good guesstimate when purchasing parts. Of course you measure at TDC, and if you do, you can always order gaskets and overnight them to you. But .040" should be safe. If you had a blueprinted shortblock, .036" would be acceptable if it were Zero Decked.
This is the assumption I was using.

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Here are some equations I used that may help you. Good luck with the build!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/145057435/...RAFT-01-Jun-13
Thanks. This will be handy.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Most guys tend to assume things that shouldn't be assumed. I had not read the thread but assumed deck height and piston height were mentioned if discussion of compression ratios were given. If you're talking about headgasket thickness without the common sense to measure your own block then you have no business building the motor.
He's using a stock short block, not like it's a custom built race short block with aftermarket pistons and such. So it is ok to assume the piston/deck heights.

The .040's should be fine, heads aren't milled much if at all so piston/valve clearance won't be an issue and neither will compression be an issue as its an N/A build.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
He's using a stock short block, not like it's a custom built race short block with aftermarket pistons and such. So it is ok to assume the piston/deck heights.

The .040's should be fine, heads aren't milled much if at all so piston/valve clearance won't be an issue and neither will compression be an issue as its an N/A build.
You start messing with clearances and you need to cut stuff and adjust oil volume or pressure. No thanks. Stock clearances for me.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1

Yeah right
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

The expert has no comment I guess

Quick Reply: Double checking head gasket thickness