Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AI / SNS GTO Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AI / SNS GTO Build

Hopefully next week I can start purchasing some of the parts for my build. I plan to get the heads ordered first and move from there. After weeks of research on the heads and cam that I want, I think I finally have it decided. I do have a few questions at the bottom though.

AI 226cc 243 Heads Milled to 62cc with BTR Springs
SNS LS2 Torque Max Stage 2 (Mild Lobes) 231/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA111+2
Fast 92 Intake Manifold
Fast 92 Throttle Body
3600 Stall (havent decided on the brand).
Katech C5-R Timing Chain
Oil Pump
Pushrods
Hayden Trans Cooler (stock 4l60e here).... Hope she holds up

I am also looking into lifters. May go with the LS7's, still need to do research on the aftermarket options. I will most likely do the trunnion upgrade too.

I think I will be very pleased with this setup. Its not a daily driver, but if the weather is nice, I do drive it frequently. As with any setup, the tune is going to play a huge roll in drive-ability. From what I have read in Martins thread, everybody with this cam seems to really like it.

I do have a few more questions if anybody can help?

1. What size pushrods should I get? Of course I will measure them to be double check.
2. Martin recommended me a racetronix 255lph pump with the hotwire kit. Any idea on what size/brand injectors to get?
3. One thing im not too certain of, what size/type of gasket should I use? Im a total noob when it comes to compression.
4. Other than the injectors/fuel pump, could I safely baby the car to the tuner which is about 30 minutes away? Ill have them do the fuel pump and injectors at the shop. I plan on doing the rest of the work on my own with the help of a few mechanic buddies.
5. Im assuming my PTV will be okay or Martin would have probably said something earlier. I will of course check it to be safe.

As there is loads of knowledge here; much more than I have, please chime in if you have any input?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus GTO
Hopefully next week I can start purchasing some of the parts for my build. I plan to get the heads ordered first and move from there. After weeks of research on the heads and cam that I want, I think I finally have it decided. I do have a few questions at the bottom though.

Fast 92 Intake Manifold
Fast 92 Throttle Body
Katech C5-R Timing Chain
Oil Pump
Pushrods

I am also looking into lifters. May go with the LS7's, still need to do research on the aftermarket options. I will most likely do the trunnion upgrade too.

I think I will be very pleased with this setup. Its not a daily driver, but if the weather is nice, I do drive it frequently. As with any setup, the tune is going to play a huge roll in drive-ability. From what I have read in Martins thread, everybody with this cam seems to really like it.

1. What size pushrods should I get? Of course I will measure them to be double check.
Measure first
2. Martin recommended me a racetronix 255lph pump with the hotwire kit. Any idea on what size/brand injectors to get?
42lbs
3. One thing im not too certain of, what size/type of gasket should I use? Im a total noob when it comes to compression.
Stock MLS
4. Other than the injectors/fuel pump, could I safely baby the car to the tuner which is about 30 minutes away? Ill have them do the fuel pump and injectors at the shop. I plan on doing the rest of the work on my own with the help of a few mechanic buddies.
Should be OK.
5. Im assuming my PTV will be okay or Martin would have probably said something earlier. I will of course check it to be safe.
Don't assume anything!!

As there is loads of knowledge here; much more than I have, please chime in if you have any input?

In red above
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Ill get the heads ordered hopefully tomorrow and will move from there. I decided to opt for the 63cc mill vs the 62cc just for a little more PTV peace of mind. Also, the cam will be the mild version (specs above were for the standard). 230/234 | .609"/.612" | LSA111+3.

How much of a difference in compression would a cometic .40 gasket grant vs a standard gm mls?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

I recommend going with the BTR lifters

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...r-lifters.html
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

"SNS LS2 Torque Max Stage 2 (Mild Lobes) 231/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA111+2"

Wait you're putting an LS2 cam into an LS1?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Syris
I recommend going with the BTR lifters

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...r-lifters.html
I most likely will. The heads will have the BTR springs, might as well match them up.

Originally Posted by 420gto
"SNS LS2 Torque Max Stage 2 (Mild Lobes) 231/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA111+2"

Wait you're putting an LS2 cam into an LS1?
I have read over Tick's 20 something page thread a few times now. Its because im an A4 car with a stall vs an M6. Here is the response from Martin:

"The LS2 Stage 2 is a camshaft that I use for cars with 3600+ stall converters that need and/or meet the exact same requirements as the LS1 Stage 2 fills.

Since a manual transmission has no slip, and if you go WOT with a M6 in any gear at any rpm the car is going to start accelerating from that RPM and then of course rise in RPM from there. With a stalled A4 or A3 with a 3600 + stall speed, if you go WOT with that set-up you will instantly see 3600 rpm's or more because of the stall's flash speed.

With that taken into account, the LS1 Stage 2 with it's smaller intake duration and earlier intake valve close event will make more torque at a lower RPM than the LS2 Stage 2. The LS1 Stage 2 closes the intake valve at 40.5 degrees after bottom dead center where as the LS2 Stage 2 closes the intake valve at 44.5 degrees after bottom dead center. This will move the peak RPM that torque and horsepower occur at up, along with the RPM it begins to produce ""put you back into your seat torque"". Because of this, the LS2 Stage 2 is well suited for a stalled automatic with a 3600+ stall over the LS1 Stage 2. You will never notice the loss of torque under 3600 rpm with the LS2 Stage 2 because the flash speed of the stall will put you above 3600 rpm every time you go WOT. Thus why the LS1 Stage 2 with its smaller intake duration, further advanced ICL and earlier intake valve closing event are better suited for a M6 or a stalled auto with a 2400-3200 rpm flash speed.

Hopefully this makes sense!"
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus GTO

Fast 92 Intake Manifold
Fast 92 Throttle Body
Katech C5-R Timing Chain
Oil Pump
Pushrods

1. Measure
2. 42lbs.
3. .040" cometic 3.910" bore
4. Yes install injectors at your tuner's shop. I'd do the fuel pump at home unless he will let you use his lift. Then it'd be a no brainer to do it there.
5. Every set-up I have done with this cam at stock chamber volume has between .080"-.090" intake P to V clearance and over .120" exhaust clearance. With a 63cc chamber, you will lose .009-.010 of that P to V and the .040" gasket will lose you another .011".

This should leave you with .060-.070" intake P to V and over .100" exhaust P to V.

If I were specifying a custom cam that I had never specified before, and had never measured or worked with I'd never recommend what I have here. I have done this set-up so many times that it's 99.9% guaranteed to be within the ranges I've specified.

The best way to ensure this range is what you'll see is to verify the ICL of the camshaft during install. This will let you know right off the bat if something is up with the way your cam was ground, which could cause a different measurement. If it checks out that the ICL is good, I'd run it as is with no second thoughts.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is exactly what I have minus the Cam. I have the AI ported 243's 226cc, Fast 92 which was ported my AI as well. and this it the cam that Martin recommend to me as well. Im curious to see what your car makes. I literally have almost everything on your list. Really interested to see what this cam makes with this set up.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks Martin, I did get the heads ordered, 4 weeks was the appx turn time. Hopefully next month or so I will be ready to order the cam and other goodies.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camarodude87
This is exactly what I have minus the Cam. I have the AI ported 243's 226cc, Fast 92 which was ported my AI as well. and this it the cam that Martin recommend to me as well. Im curious to see what your car makes. I literally have almost everything on your list. Really interested to see what this cam makes with this set up.
My heavy slug with a 3600 stall should eat up some hp vs your car with the same mods. Ill post up once I have everything done and tuned. Probably wont be super soon as im purchasing the parts in sets and wont have it all done right away.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately a gto's drive train eats up a lot more power than a f body so it's hard to get a true apples to apples comparison between combinations.

Should still be a good indicator of power though if the converter isn't stupid inefficient.

Quick Reply: AI / SNS GTO Build