Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

budget lq4 rebuild, have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default budget lq4 rebuild, have a few questions.

I picked up a 02 lq4 with 190k for $200 that lost power and would barely run. I tore the cylinders heads off of it and it chipped a chunk out of the edge of the piston on cylinder 5. I did find 2 little chunks of metal underneath of the valley cover which i will post pics of shortly to try and determine where it may have came from. There is no ridges in the cylinder walls and you can still see cross hatching in them.

I figure itll get torn down fully, get a set of bearings, hone the cylinders, a set of pistons, a very small cam, mill like 15thousandeths off of the heads,etc. im planning on putting this into my solid axle'd s10 blazer.

Question are...
should i get replacement domed pistons in whatever size the machine shop says is necessary or should i get flat top pistons like stock lq9 to get the bump in compression.
What brand of pistons do you guys recomend? I see a ton of options that start at like $25 a piece and upwarss from there? I want something that is gonna last but i am on a budget and going in my wheeling rig it isnt uncommon im way up in the mountains or elsewhere that would be a real shitty deal for a recovery mission.
Mostly gonna be used for slow speed rock crawling and similar but will proably go run the mudbogs every time or to so i need something that will stay together up to say 6000 rpms.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Sunday bump
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No way in hell I would look at a $25 piston.

If you aren't willing to do a GOOD piston like Mahle Powerpak level then just get another lower mileage shortblock it would cost less than good pistons and make more power than crappy pistons and mediocre machining.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

I wasnt going to go with the $25 dollars ones, Was just saying ive found some starting at $25 each all of the way up to over $100. Looking for recomendations from what others have used.

Quick Reply: budget lq4 rebuild, have a few questions.