Sponsored by:

Camshaft, Head Gasket, Push Rod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft, Head Gasket, Push Rod Questions

Hey guys,

I have 2002 Camaro SS. My initial plan was to simply upgrade it to LS6 Specs as it already has the block and intake.

As my search for a set of ZO6 Cylinder Heads began I started to realize that finding a good set would be much harder than I thought. After looking at many options I have acquired a set of 243 castings with a stage 2 makeover from TEA. They have been milled to a 62 cc combustion chamber. So the first question is... which head gasket will allow me to run on 91 and still have a good quench? (Sorry, I Guess that's 2)

My second issue is push rod length. I am not sure if I can reuse my stockers or if I must upgrade?!?!

The last issue which may affect the first two answers is which camshaft to run that will still help me squeak past a California Emissions test. (I have no intention of trying ruin some poor smog techs career by offering up any bribes)Anyway, I was set on an LS6 cam but after most of what I saw suggested it seems that cam would leave 20-30 hp on the table while still being able to pass. Most posts regarding the issue but most are at least 2 years old...Perhaps there is something new that has come along...

I have yet to meet the local tuner in Fresno but I have heard nothing but GREAT things about him so dialing it all in should not be a problem. At the moment the car is stock but came with the 345hp option from SLP which I believe came with a Blackwing air filter housing and a Center Mounted Exhaust. Other changes I am considering are upgrading to a ported throttle body, Ported maf ends, smooth bellows, LS6 oil pump, LS2 timing Chain, LS6 PCV system (in the valley cover) and maybe full roller rockers.

This is my daily driver. I spend most of my on the highway 55 mph plus. it is an Automatic with stock stall speed converter that has been seriously upgraded with 5 pinion front and rear carriers heavy duty sprag elements, beast shell etc. and a 3.42 rear end.

Anyway, If you have made it this far...Thank you! I appreciate any input and experience you have to offer.

Best regards,

Doug

Quick Reply: Camshaft, Head Gasket, Push Rod Questions