Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrods...or something else

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy pushrods...or something else

hey guys pretty new here id figure I should ask since there is a lot of ls1 gurus and experienced techs.

2002 z28 began ticking really loud from the left side about 200 miles in after a oil change (upgraded to synthetic btw) I should have used an additive before opening the pass side to see if that would have helped but to late. so I believed it might be a bent pushrod.i looked up on a few forums and others have stated that ls1 were notorious for internal sounds(bent pushrods being one of them). so I opened the passenger side cyl 2,4,6,8 and inspected the rods but none of them are bent the previous owner put some comp cam pushrods now my question is do I have to find the tdc just to bolt the rocker arms back on on? I didn't check the right since the sound came from the pass side and ime pretty sure its the left side maybe a stuck lifter or something. like I said im new and would greatly appreciate any help and any constructive advice to get my ride back running.

thanks. - mike
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarchZ28
hey guys pretty new here id figure I should ask since there is a lot of ls1 gurus and experienced techs.

2002 z28 began ticking really loud from the left side about 200 miles in after a oil change (upgraded to synthetic btw) I should have used an additive before opening the pass side to see if that would have helped but to late. so I believed it might be a bent pushrod.i looked up on a few forums and others have stated that ls1 were notorious for internal sounds(bent pushrods being one of them). so I opened the passenger side cyl 2,4,6,8 and inspected the rods but none of them are bent the previous owner put some comp cam pushrods now my question is do I have to find the tdc just to bolt the rocker arms back on on? I didn't check the right since the sound came from the pass side and ime pretty sure its the left side maybe a stuck lifter or something. like I said im new and would greatly appreciate any help and any constructive advice to get my ride back running.

thanks. - mike
You need to get each rocker arm/lifter on the base circle of the cam before you torque it down.

SOunds like a spun/failed lifter to me if its not pushrods
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 PM

that would be when the pushrod is at its lowest?(correct me if I am wrong please) also if its a failed or spun should I take it to a engine mech? I really don't wanna screw up anything else so putting these arms is my goal. I wanted to see if maybe I could learn on my own but money & time is an issue and id rather pay someone who knows than me flipping the dice and taking chances unless that failed lifter is an easy fix which I doubt.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not comfortable diagnosing the car, don't tear it apart, take it to someone who knows. Base circle is the portion of the cam where the pushrod and lifter are just riding along the bottom of the lobe.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 PM

lack of experience would be a better term id say. anyhow I mean I gotta start from somewhere right. and that's why id figure id ask and get advice from people who do have that experience and are willing to share it. instead of me taking it to a mechanic that says its one thing and then another. I took it to a local shop and they had said it was my cam that was bad. I doubted it because my car had no loss of power/ pressure all it was doing was ticking.... anyhow yeah I guess ill take it to a shop that specializes in lsx engines like late model race

Quick Reply: pushrods...or something else