Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad valve seal after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad valve seal after cam install

Noticed an oil consumption issue a few months after doing a cam install. Installed titanium retainers and PRC dual springs + PRC stem seals from Texas Speed. I used a 12mm socket to install them and must have screwed one up by accident.

Pulled the valve covers, can't see anything without removing the springs. Maybe with the single springs you can see through the coils, but the dual springs you really can't see much. So I pulled the plugs and here's what I found.

Driver side plugs. 1,3,5,7 - looks like 5 is the culprit. the ceramic on 1 is a little darkened as well.

Passneger side. 8,6,4,2 - 2 looks a little lean, 4 also looks not quite perfect, maybe also leaking oil?

There's some oil on the threads of most of the plugs. I'm guessing that's just some of the grease I applied when I installed that eventually melted with the heat. I can't really tell if the plugs that are sort of darkening is from burning oil or just normal wear of the plugs. Not sure if I should change the seal on just #5 or all the ones that are dark.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you check for interference w/ the retainers when you did the change out?

Quick Reply: Bad valve seal after cam install