Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with changing my spark plugs

Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with changing my spark plugs

Im changing my spark plugs for the first time on my 2000 Camaro SS. I have changed plugs on other cars before but could really use some help with this one. A instructional video or step-by-step pictures would be great. Also what type of plugs should i go with. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The plugs come out of the ignition coils no problem. Coming off the plug itself can be a bit of a nightmare. If you don't plan to reuse the plugs or the OEM heat shields, just grab them with pliers and rip them sumbitches off.

For the spark plug, you need a 5/8" socket for the 3/8" drive.

You'll need 1" and 3" extensions on a 3/8" drive. I'd also recommend some swivel socket extenders if you can get them. O'Reilly had a set of GMPP swivel head socket extenders for like $7.

You can get to 1-7 on the top. Easier to jack up the car and put it on jack stands to get to #8. At least it was for me. There's no room to manuever a socket back there with the firewall. Coming at it from underneath is the easiest.

Anti-sieze for the spark plugs and dielectric grease for the plug wires.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Remove the Air and EGR to give you more room. If you want to also take the coils off and you can get them all from the top.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
The plugs come out of the ignition coils no problem. Coming off the plug itself can be a bit of a nightmare. If you don't plan to reuse the plugs or the OEM heat shields, just grab them with pliers and rip them sumbitches off.

For the spark plug, you need a 5/8" socket for the 3/8" drive.

You'll need 1" and 3" extensions on a 3/8" drive. I'd also recommend some swivel socket extenders if you can get them. O'Reilly had a set of GMPP swivel head socket extenders for like $7.

You can get to 1-7 on the top. Easier to jack up the car and put it on jack stands to get to #8. At least it was for me. There's no room to manuever a socket back there with the firewall. Coming at it from underneath is the easiest.

Anti-sieze for the spark plugs and dielectric grease for the plug wires.
Thanks man awesome instructions!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

take the coil rack off you will need to lift your car up in the air for the passenger side spark plug to put it back on unless you have really small hands and skinny arms. its a pain to do but a lot easier when you lift the car up. Also make sure you pull the wires off at the grip marks down towards the plugs because if you just pull them off by the wires then you could break the ends off inside the rubber casing. I did that and i need all new wires. noob mistake i know.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

You can remove or move all the Air and EGR stuff pretty easily. Not necessary to remove, but gives you a little more space. If you have headers, you have more room as well.

I wouldn't take the coil packs off. I don't think that buys you much room.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
You can remove or move all the Air and EGR stuff pretty easily. Not necessary to remove, but gives you a little more space. If you have headers, you have more room as well.

I wouldn't take the coil packs off. I don't think that buys you much room.
it does for me for the far back ones anyways. Yea headers help on the driver side that damn passenger side tho is a bitch to do anything.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I do all of them from the top. Passenger side I just remove the coil packs and I have no problems getting to any of them. Mileage may vary as they say but that is what works for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Start on the pass side rear and work your way out. It'll be frustrating but the hardest one will be outta the way first. When I did mine I did them all from the top and took the coils off the pass side so I can get to the back one. This was with manifolds, with headers it'll be easier. Make sure to put anti seize on the threads for future removal.

You'll more than likely look like your arms got into a fight with a big pissed off cat lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Banned

lol i dont see how how yall did it from the top ive tried and tried and cant seem to get it all of them from the top
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I wear padded mechanics gloves and a long sleeve shirt. It helps cut down on the angry cat look.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for they help! What type of plugs should i get, all suggestions welcome?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

NGK TR55 for a stock motor. TR6 if you start pushing high compression and 450+rwhp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with changing my spark plugs