Sponsored by:

Car lost power, knocking after dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car lost power, knocking after dyno

I have a 98 ss with 76k miles on it.
4xx miles ago, I put in a 233/239 cam, with all upgraded valvetrain, ls7 lifters, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, and the car was running great, at cruising speeds.

Yesterday I drove it 180 miles up to SpeedInc for a dyno tune. The first pull, the car was doing good up until 5,800rpms, it made 370 HP, and then fell straight on its face.
-The second pull, the car LOST 30 HP all across the board, once again totally falling on its face after 5,800rpms, only making 340 HP.

The car made no noises on the dyno, but until I could figure out what was going on, tuning was stopped. I drove the car back home, 20 miles out from my house I got on it in first, into second and now the car knocks/squeals.

The knock is not very consistent, its like it knocks, stops, knocks louder, stops, knocks, ECT.

oil pressure dropped some, but still above 40 PSI warm idle.

Car was driven for roughly 5-7 miles like this to get me off the interstate.

I assume what ever is knocking, STARTED to break on the dyno, possibly being the cause of the car not making power past 5,800, and LOOSING power on the second pull??
I'm just a little confused as to why no sounds were made on the dyno, or on my drive home when something was clearly wrong with the car...

Any way I may have had a problem causing the power loss, and this is a whole new problem? Or would they more than likely be related..

Any ideas would be great!

http://tinypic.com/r/280v0r4/5 Video of knocking
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds exactly how mine sounded.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...bly-sixxx.html
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS.SIX

what ended up being wrong with yours?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah man..that stinks!

I'm headed up there this next week to re-dyno mine.

The first time I was there it threw the driveshaft and I didn't have a loop in it.

Needless to say - I'm not a fan of the dyno process, but a necessary evil to make sure the motor is well tuned.

Let us know what you find. A compression test would be a good start.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
ah man..that stinks!

I'm headed up there this next week to re-dyno mine.

The first time I was there it threw the driveshaft and I didn't have a loop in it.

Needless to say - I'm not a fan of the dyno process, but a necessary evil to make sure the motor is well tuned.

Let us know what you find. A compression test would be a good start.
yeah, I was a little worried taking it there but if it was going to happen, it was going to happen.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Launching!

What spring pressures are you running and what oil are you running?
Pull the valve covers and check lash on all the valves. Sure sounds like a lost lobe or two but maybe it just floated the valves on the dyno leading to some bent pushrods that showed their asses once you got on it going home. Could be a few things, hard to tell.

Last edited by SSellers; 07-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That sounds nasty. Start from the top and work your way down. Your cam is probably trashed if you have bad lifters. That squealing though, might be metal on metal contact...... don't start it again.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tyler99
what ended up being wrong with yours?
His lifter crapped out, left chunks of the lifter housing and needle bearings all in the bottom end

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSellers
What spring pressures are you running and what oil are you running?
Pull the valve covers and check lash on all the valves. Sure sounds like a lost lobe or two but maybe it just floated the valves on the dyno leading to some bent pushrods that showed their asses once you got on it going home. Could be a few things, hard to tell.
Would a hardened pushrod bend, or just snap?
Its got tsp 650" lift springs. Mobile 1 full syn.
It don't have a misfire, or at least didn't sound like it, and a snapped pushrod would send a misfire, as ive done it before. I'll be pulling the valve cover and checking it out when I get the car home today.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
That sounds nasty. Start from the top and work your way down. Your cam is probably trashed if you have bad lifters. That squealing though, might be metal on metal contact...... don't start it again.
Has brand new ls7 lifters in it, couldn't imagine them going junk on me. I'm leaning toward a rod bearing, but would that cause power to slowly decrease, then take a final sh*t on me before I could hear and knocking?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Launching!

We're just postulating but once you get the top off you can start ruling stuff out. Just you mentioning it falling flat at 5800 RPM brings in valve float as a possibility which is a nasty thing....basically imagine everything separating apart....lifter coming off cam lobe then slamming back into it. It can take some stuff out for sure. Also running high spring pressures without a good oil at high RPM can lead to pivot or lobe failure (yes, even on a roller) so lash opens up and then bad things happen. Just hard to say and everyone is guessing while the big metal box is still closed up.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSellers
We're just postulating but once you get the top off you can start ruling stuff out. Just you mentioning it falling flat at 5800 RPM brings in valve float as a possibility which is a nasty thing....basically imagine everything separating apart....lifter coming off cam lobe then slamming back into it. It can take some stuff out for sure. Also running high spring pressures without a good oil at high RPM can lead to pivot or lobe failure (yes, even on a roller) so lash opens up and then bad things happen. Just hard to say and everyone is guessing while the big metal box is still closed up.
Yeah, im still a little weirded out on the falling on its face thing. Ill have the car back at home around 7 tonight so tomorrow I will begin inspecting.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Could well be a spun brg. Pull the oil filter and cut it open....
Old 07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Tough to hear from the vid if the sound is coming from up top or deeper in the motor. Open her up and post plenty of pics.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what comes to mind when I hear the symptons.

Oil pressure drop and knock sounds like a rod and main bearing spun. I am guessing #7 piston broke a ring land causing #7 rod bearing to fail then taking out main bearing #4.

Detonation on the dyno run is what broke the piston.

Pm me if my guess was correct.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see any mention of tuning prior to the dyno run. How did you run it 400 miles, it would have needed some tuning with cam yes/no?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Oh my. Why oh why did you drive it 180 miles untuned? After a cam install you have to trailer it to your tuners unless you have the means to load a tune or send the computer out. We just did a cam upgrade on my sons 98 and didn't even like running it to load it on the trailer.

Time to tear down top end and remove oil pan. Keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Yikes, sorry to hear.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I am experiencing something similar in my 2000 z28. I had the cam replaced recently along with one lifter and rod because one lobe was trashed. After 1k I cut my filter open and it is loaded with metal debris. The magnetic plug looked like it had hair on it. After revving engine I am hearing a valve train rattling noise until it settles down to idle. GM did the work, maybe they messed up in the install Not sure if I should tear down again or look a new engine replacement.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by high impact
Oh my. Why oh why did you drive it 180 miles untuned? After a cam install you have to trailer it to your tuners unless you have the means to load a tune or send the computer out. We just did a cam upgrade on my sons 98 and didn't even like running it to load it on the trailer.

Time to tear down top end and remove oil pan. Keep us posted.

I had no easy access to a trailer, but was going to rent one until I called texas-speed and they told me it would not hurt to drive it.. bad decision I guess?

Quick Reply: Car lost power, knocking after dyno