Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cam, what to do with timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Cam, what to do with timing

Just bought the MS3 cam with a 111 lobe sepration angle. What information do you need me to post so i can know what the best place to set the timing would be? I went with a roll master dual chain and gears and want to make sure i do it right on install.

I know what happens when you advance and retard the timing but when you advance the timing and you make the spark earlier in the engines rotation what does that really do, does it allow for more air and fuel being that the piston is at a further depth and firing earlier or what? Other than it firing earlier when the piston is on its way to tdc i just dont get what it actually changes in the performance
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the ICL on your cam?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

It says 111 and cam advance is 0
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

R U referring to cam timing, or ign timing? Looks like you have referenced both, in your post.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Well my first paragraph in my first post im looking to figure out cam timing. My new timing chain and gears have from Rollmaster have numbers on the gear so i can time the cam and based on my cam im trying to figure out where the timing needs to be. As for second paragraph thats more of a "looking to add more knowledge to the brain" type of question which i think i figured out the answer today that basically it just makes it more effecient. But as for the first question i still have no clue. Thank you for the help.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Install the cam straight up and have a competent tuner tune the car. If you start jacking with you will have nothing but problems because you don't know enough about engines to have any idea what you are doing. I'm trying to be a dick, but seriously. Install it dot to dot or straight up or what ever you call it.
Don't over complicate things now. You can learn more about these things while the car is running. Besides I think that camshaft was designed to be installed straight up, so do that and don't break anything.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Ya i plan on having a tuner take care of all that but i wana do my part to make sure its correct on install so im not dealing with more headaches down the road. To say i dont know enough about engines to know what im doing is quite possibly the dumbest thing i think ive seen someone post. Your taking a question on a grey area i have and assuming i know nothing about engines, good call there hot shot. You will be the first person i cometo for advice after this considering you didnt even answer the question really. Ya i mean you kind of did but your bluriness on knowledge when you said "besides i think that camshaft" tells me you really didnt know yourself. So let me repeat your previous statement and say you dont know enough about engines. Save your replies champ coulda left the hot shot attitude out of it and been fine.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Hey I have seen Squirlnutz post before and he normaly is pretty informative if I remeber right could be wrong lol anyways. Do you know how to degree in your cam if so degree in the cam and then let your tuner know what your base line no **** timing is based on your degreeing and cam card and allow him to set the timing curve from there. Being it is a +0 that means there is no lobe timing ground into the cam and cam with a +2 or -2 or watever have it means they ground that much advance into the cam but the cam should still be initialy installed with the timing marks lined up and then degreed in from there. i think lunati has a good thread on their website to walk you through the degreeing process. the numbers on your timing gear are there to assist you in the degreeing process so you can jump the timing forward or backwords to get it evened out by slipping the cam gear forward or backwards to desired location as indicated in the degreeing process. Hope this helps alittle I can explain degreeing but the Lunati website I feel would do a much better job.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whiskeyboy84
Hey I have seen Squirlnutz post before and he normaly is pretty informative if I remeber right could be wrong lol anyways. Do you know how to degree in your cam if so degree in the cam and then let your tuner know what your base line no **** timing is based on your degreeing and cam card and allow him to set the timing curve from there. Being it is a +0 that means there is no lobe timing ground into the cam and cam with a +2 or -2 or watever have it means they ground that much advance into the cam but the cam should still be initialy installed with the timing marks lined up and then degreed in from there. i think lunati has a good thread on their website to walk you through the degreeing process. the numbers on your timing gear are there to assist you in the degreeing process so you can jump the timing forward or backwords to get it evened out by slipping the cam gear forward or backwards to desired location as indicated in the degreeing process. Hope this helps alittle I can explain degreeing but the Lunati website I feel would do a much better job.
Fantastic thank you for your help i will def check that out.

Quick Reply: New Cam, what to do with timing