Sponsored by:

Aftermarket or stock pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Oklahoma 1000+ posts from LS1.COM and 430+ posts from WWW.COFBA.COM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket or stock pushrods?

I'm going to run the MTI T1 cam and the person I bought the cam used from also included MTI's Trick Flow 7.400 .080 chromoly hardened push rods. Should I keep the stock ones on in case I accidenlty over-rev the engine or should I put the MTI ones in?

I have some people on the board use the stock pushrods, so if they over-rev the stock pushrods will break instead of other things in my engine.

But I have seen some run the chromoly hardened pushrods.

What should I do? Pro's/Con's?????

<small>[ March 09, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Str8crusinT/A ]</small>
Old 03-09-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Aftermarket or stock pushrods?

I honestly do not know all of the pros of chromoly hardened pushrods, but I will be staying with the stockers. I have not missed a shift in a couple of years, but I like the insurance.

-Nick
Old 03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Teching In

good ? and what about on A4 str8crusinT/A so u got it thats cool
Old 03-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Oklahoma 1000+ posts from LS1.COM and 430+ posts from WWW.COFBA.COM

Yep, just waiting for some more money and then going to get the comp 918 springs and gaskets and then I wil be set.

If aftermarket pushrods are good for A4 I will sell you the set I have depending if I don't need them or should use them on my M6.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

If you have a good timing set, a good, solid chain and hardened pushrods, you shouldn't have to worry about rapping a pushrod if you accidently over-rev it. Just make sure to get good parts and a good chain and put in the new pushrods.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Teching In

ttt
Old 03-11-2003, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

PROS - if you over-rev you will bend a dime a dozen pushrod, easy fix, would probably not break anything else.

CONS - with a high lift cam and hi-po springs you will weaken the stock pushrod and risk the chnce of breaking it under stressful driving situations without ever over -revving the engine. You also risk bending a pushrod and throwing the geometry of the valvetrain off thus causing problems in other areas. Meaning, it is inherently weaker, so there is always a higher risk of bending it and if you do then you also risk damaging other valvetrain parts in the process.

You could go either way. You will be glad you had stockers in if you bend one and can get it fixed before any damage is done, you will look like a genious. Although you look like a boob if for some reason your valvetrain starts making noises after 3 months and you pull the head to find bent valves and pushrods and you know you never over -revved it. Then you have to fix and replace a lot.

There is a compromise. You don't have to go all the way and get chrome moly pr's. You can get new pr's made much stronger than stock which are rated to your springs and cam but not as strong as moly so they should still be the first to bend or break. It's what I do.
Good Luck,
ERIC

Quick Reply: Aftermarket or stock pushrods?