Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bank pulling voltage.....o2 Sensor? Bucking, Smell of fuel..fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank pulling voltage.....o2 Sensor? Bucking, Smell of fuel..fuel pump?

Recently finally got back into yet another LS1 project. Overall car is pretty clean and seems mechanically sound. Stall, 3.42 gears, nice size cam, ect. Car had basically no tune after the cam swap and some idle tunning was the first item I took on after buying the car.

After a few hours of tuning and taking the information home to work with, my tuner was able to get a nice idle. However, he mentioned that he believed I had an 02 sensor out because one of the banks was pulling a lot of voltage to compensate, and the error was fixed when bank was shut off... or at least this is what I gathered from what he told me. He informed me tuning much further and of coarse WOT tuning would first need a new 02 sensor. No motor noise, (tings, pings) anything like that, so he seems confident this is the issue.

Then the other day I had another issue start in on me with some pretty violent bucking and rough idling that I believe to be the result of a lack of fuel. After some investigating, sure enough, the guy who had the cam installed either never installed an upgraded 255 pump or removed it replacing it with the stock before selling it to me. Keeping more than a qtr. tank of gas helps the problem but doesn't solve it.

Do these signs and symptoms reflect a weak fuel pump and bad o2 sensor? I would like some reassurance while i'm waiting for the new parts to arrive. The tuner said there would likely be more red flags if there was some sort of internal issue going on but I can't help but try and prepare myself for the worst lol. Thanks guys and any info or past experiences would be of help.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem it was my o2 sensor... is your check engine light on?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, getting the check engine light as well. He advised me yesterday to get the new o2 sensor in there first and that he doesn't think the fuel pump is the issue. Pretty confident it's the 02 sensor and tune. Getting one ASAP and then on from there.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

try the right forum.. Mite get some answers there........

Quick Reply: Bank pulling voltage.....o2 Sensor? Bucking, Smell of fuel..fuel pump?