Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision between blown long block vs complete low mileage motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision between blown long block vs complete low mileage motor

I have been beating my head against a brick wall today trying to put together numbers and I'm trying make the best overall decision. With that said i am starting a LS1 build for my 91 miata. Main goal is to make close to 400whp NA and possibly a 100 shot down the road so i will be doing some upgrades to the motor either route I choose.

Today i came across a friend of a friend selling a ls1 long block for 450$. Long block has a spun bearing and 125k miles on it. It comes with all internals, heads, and timing cover ect. If i go with this option ill have to source a bunch of parts and have machine work done plus id have to source a T56 tranny.

2nd option would be to find a somewhat lower mileage complete LS1/t56 and go with a good cam and some other goodies.

Now i would assume building the motor from the ground up would be more pricey, lots of labor/ time (i have plenty of time) but would reward me better reliability, and a complete motor would be less money and less reliability yet be a much easier process and wont have to deal with sourcing a crap load of parts.

What would you guys suggest? Are my theories correct?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're only after 400rwhp, a low mileage ls1 with a mild cam should get you there...if not, very close. It would certainly be cheaper.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX6.0
If you're only after 400rwhp, a low mileage ls1 with a mild cam should get you there...if not, very close. It would certainly be cheaper.
Yeah and after talking with a local guy who has done the swap tonight he said the same thing so I'm leaning toward just buying it complete. He got his ls1/t56 for 3500 with only 50k miles. Hell I'd go with an ls2/t56 if I could find one for around or below 5k$

I'm gonna have to check out your build, car looks nice
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ls2's are fairly pricey, I think it would be tough to find one with the DBW pedal an ECU for 5K. I lucked out, mine was 6.5K but I was able to sell off $1500 of aftermarket stuff that came with it.

Surprisingly these cars handle the extra power just fine. 400 HP sounds like a lot for such a light car, but with good tires and the smooth power delivery of the LS, putting down the power shouldn't be much of an issue until you're in the 500-550 range.

Quick Reply: Decision between blown long block vs complete low mileage motor