Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont idle

Do not drive the car as often any more. Took it out tonight after not having drove/started it in a couple weeks. Battery dead had to push start it. Dont think this has anything to do with it. Car drove fine for about 2 hours. Parked went in and ate dinner. Came out, car still driving fine. Needed gas. Pulled into the station just fine. Filled up. Started car up, it immediately died. Figured, something must have reset, just needs to learn how to idle. Will not really learn how to idle again unless i play with the throttle for a little bit, then it will eventually sit there and idle like a champ.

Thought, ok we are good lets go! wrong. Next stop, car dies while trying to idle. It wont even really try, it just goes straight to zero RPMs and dies. I can start it back up and as long as I am giving it gas, it runs. No other issues. Drove it about 25 miles home no issues at all, until I come up to a stop and it wants to die, I have to drive all goofy and brake with the left foot and feather the throttle with the right.

Long story short: Car wont idle. Will idle after playing with throttle for a bit, however once you give it gas or move the vehicle, it dies again. Drives fine once you get moving, no other issues at all. No SES Light.

Fuel filter? Vacuum leake? MAF? What do the professionals of LS1tech think? Gonna get it out of the garage tomorrow and tinker with it.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump? Been a while since I have been on the forum... Can someone move it if its in the wrong place?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Started it up, idled just fine this afternoon. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't your original motor take a dump on you a while back? If so, is this a new motor? Either way, check for a vacuum leak. It's simple. Get some carb cleaner and spray around to see if the idle changes at all. (It should idle higher for a bit if it is.) If that's not the case, start checking the MAF and go from there. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinR
Didn't your original motor take a dump on you a while back? If so, is this a new motor? Either way, check for a vacuum leak. It's simple. Get some carb cleaner and spray around to see if the idle changes at all. (It should idle higher for a bit if it is.) If that's not the case, start checking the MAF and go from there. Good luck.
Yup that would be me. New rebuilt motor from SQR. Been running great since October. First issue I have had with it. I would almost think a vacuum leak would cause rpms to rise, not fall and just straight up die. IDK.. Might of been a fluke maybe my battery is going to ****, or maybe the alt. Either way, it worked today and idled just fine regardless of what I did. Guess ill wait and see if it does it again and if it does, I'll have my wife sit in it and keep it from dying(wonderful idea, i know lol) while i have at the engine bay. Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: Car wont idle