Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Ls1 oil pressure sender?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ls1 oil pressure sender?

I have a 98 Z28 that died on me while driving to work. After starting it up two more times it continued to bog out and die with no codes coming up. After doing a little research I found that it could be the oil pressure sender. So I removed the manifold and replaced the oil pressure sender, both knock sensors, and the cam sensor. The car did sit for about a week so I had to jump it for about ten minutes. After that it started up and I drove it around for a few minutes with no problems. I parked the car for about 20-30 minutes and started it back up and with in 30-45 seconds it bogged out and never started back up. Could the oil pressure sender I bought be bad or could I have another problem? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It shouldn't have anything to do with the oil pressure sender. That doesn't really even makes sense.

What does an engine need to fire? Air, fuel, spark, and compression right? I'd look at the fuel system first and go from there.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea it's a classic mistake to start replacing sensors...gotta do some diagnostics first...and if you don't have the ability have a good mechanic tell you the problem and either fix t yourself or have him fix it, the $ you already spent could of already fixed it...autozone/advanced auto rent a fuel pressure tester kit...like kcs said start there
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I was under the assumption that if the oil pressure sender went bad that the computer would read there's no oil in the vehicle and therefore it would not allow fuel to the engine. This was coming from a mechanic and forums. I'm assuming now that the info was wrong since I did a quick little check on the fuel pressure by pushing in the valve on the fuel rail to see if there was any kind of pressure and a burst of fuel came out. I put a new 255lt fuel pump and fuel filter in the car but maybe the injectors are clogged. There are no codes!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

...not everything has codes, did it run fine before the new fuel pump?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Teching In

The old one was bad bogging out and dying on me until it gave out and after putting the new pump in it ran great. That was about 5 months ago. Maybe the new fuel pump went bad? Or the injectors are clogged? I'm going to get a fuel pressure gage and check it the right way so at least I can see if there's a problem there or not rule it out.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJames24
The old one was bad bogging out and dying on me until it gave out and after putting the new pump in it ran great. That was about 5 months ago. Maybe the new fuel pump went bad? Or the injectors are clogged? I'm going to get a fuel pressure gage and check it the right way so at least I can see if there's a problem there or not rule it out.
Where did you get the 255 pump? Ebay? If so, pull it out and throw it in the trash. Most of the ones sold there are cheap clones and won't usually last 5 months.

Quick Reply: 98 Ls1 oil pressure sender?