Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals - one muffler + one resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals - one muffler + one resonator?

Hey guys,

Have a 90 Iroc with and LSx/T56 swap. Long tubes, x-pipe and true duals, but I just don't like the sound of bullet-style mufflers/resonators. I need that chamber sound, but I can't run two mufflers. Lowered, T56 cross member, Spohn Torq arm. Just no room

Can I run one Flowmaster 40 in the stock location for the drivers side and a resonator on the passenger side?

Does that difference in back-pressure matter and will the x-pipe help? Should I add an H over the axle to connect the two sides?

Thanks
Asim
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

The newer mustangs (2005 and up) have the mufflers just before the rear bumper and sound good. Why not just throw some 2 chamber flowmasters in that spot. I have a 98 TA and was gonna run true duals on that with the same set up. True 2in duals with 2 flow masters. If you go that route, let me know what you think. You def gotta have an x pipe or h pipe in there to balance out the exhaust flow.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Teching In

If I could do 2 small chamber mufflers I would, but the passenger side of the Iroc has next to no room in-between the spare tire well and the trunk.

I got the idea of using one muffler because my 95 had a Borla cat-back and I noticed that with the plate off, the passenger side was basically a pass-through and only the drivers side goes through the muffler.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered using Classic Chambered Powersticks.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those don't sound very different than a flowmaster, but it's hard to tell on a video...I'd like to hear to in person, I like the homage to the old school vetted and camaro exhausts
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Location: Witness Protection Program (oh I've said too much!)

I have seen powerstick style before but didn't know they were making a comeback! The good thing about them would be that there would be no fiberglass to burn out for using glasspacks when adding them to an existing loud exhaust system (like mine) that needs just a little more sound reduction to lower the wife & neighbor complaints

I though this guy made a good video describing them, I'm looking into them.

Now I just got to find some in 4" for the car and 5" for the diesel

Quick Reply: True Duals - one muffler + one resonator?