Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

Need help in tracking down an oil leak.

Formula ws6 M6 has 86K miles.

So i wiped everything down, drove the car and waited. Currently there are drops hanging around the oil filter, starter and tranny bellhousing. I also noticed some drops way in the back from the tranny crossmember and under along the bottom of the tranny itself. Its more serious around under the bellhousing and oil pan area. I'm guessing rear main seal but any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Launching!

the only other possible leak to cause oil around that area would be the Oil pressure sending unit located behind the intake manifold at the back of the block. These can go bad sometime and leak around the sensor which then runs down the back of the block/bell housing. I just removed my motor for the exact same leak you are experiencing but mine was leaking from the rear main/ rear cover area. I would try looking with a mirror behind the intake at the Oil pressure sensor first to make sure its not leaking. More then likely you will be pulling the trans to inspect/replace the rear seal. OR in my case its easier for me to pull engine/trans/k member lol
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Are you running noticeably lower on oil since you've spotted the leak? Just throwing it out there that when this happened to me it was actually my power steering fluid blowing out the top of the rack... my case was an obvious one though since i was feeding it power steering fluid every time I would drive it.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
the only other possible leak to cause oil around that area would be the Oil pressure sending unit located behind the intake manifold at the back of the block. These can go bad sometime and leak around the sensor which then runs down the back of the block/bell housing. I just removed my motor for the exact same leak you are experiencing but mine was leaking from the rear main/ rear cover area. I would try looking with a mirror behind the intake at the Oil pressure sensor first to make sure its not leaking. More then likely you will be pulling the trans to inspect/replace the rear seal. OR in my case its easier for me to pull engine/trans/k member lol
I was wondering that it may be the OPSU, but i have no clue where its located or what it looks like. Gonna search. The reason why oil may get to the back is because of the wind blowing it back there? But yeah my main problem may be OPSU or rear seal. Now that i take a second look there is some oil residue coming down from the head on driver's side. If it is the OPSU i would have to remove the intake?

Last edited by BEAST_WS6M6; 09-22-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfrech182
Are you running noticeably lower on oil since you've spotted the leak? Just throwing it out there that when this happened to me it was actually my power steering fluid blowing out the top of the rack... my case was an obvious one though since i was feeding it power steering fluid every time I would drive it.
Yeah i notice the dipstick and i have to keep up with it, i also notice the spot wherever i had parked the car. So it cant be PS fluid. Thanks tho
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

yes you will have to remove the intake...i tried removing my OPSU with a special socket before with the intake on with no luck. Its not too bad to pull the intake anyhow.......much easier then pulling the tranny lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
yes you will have to remove the intake...i tried removing my OPSU with a special socket before with the intake on with no luck. Its not too bad to pull the intake anyhow.......much easier then pulling the tranny lol.
will remove to check it out, thanks man

Quick Reply: Oil leak