Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Do you know how most of these guys spec a cam? Do you know what the process is that most of them use? Do you know why many of use found what Tooley shared on here so exciting?
Yes....from actually doing it.testing testing testing....not copy and paste from what others have done.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousking
Yes....from actually doing it.testing testing testing....not copy and paste from what others have done.
How do you know I don't test my camshafts?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Results speak for themselves.

I seem to attract all the nut jobs.

I'm glad two people on the internet are so infatuated with me that they must follow me around trying to discredit me.

They will never admit it, but it's jealousy plain and simple.

I don't beat my chest and claim to be the smartest guy around, but I am pretty damned smart. I will ask for help when I feel it's needed because I'm not too proud to have someone smarter than me tell me where I'm wrong like some will.

You don't have to be an expert for 20 years to be good at something.

Ever see a kid go from High School to the NBA? Ever see a teenager around 15-16 years old go to college to be a neurosurgeon?

I have.
You dont need any help to be discredited.....your killer 9sec turbo car says it all
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You dont need any help to be discredited.....your killer 9sec turbo car says it all
I have had a 9 second turbo car that weighed 3800 lbs.

Yes I did.

Stock bottom end, stock 241 heads, 227/224 114 cam, and a PT7675 on 16psi.

I'd say that's pretty respectable.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope you are not under the impression that "can experts" have tested all of their recommendations.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I hope you are not under the impression that "can experts" have tested all of their recommendations.
Ofcouse not but I will say that the best cam grinders are also the ones that have direct feedback from the best engine builders. Throwing out cams specs in every post that starts with "5.3" or "6.0" is more for the internet cam guru build..LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right about ten years ago....

The infamous camshaft thread -

Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis
Right about ten years ago....

The infamous camshaft thread -

I feel like I learned quite a bit from that thread when I first read it.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
I feel like I learned quite a bit from that thread when I first read it.
Yep,me too.can't believe its been 10yrs..
OP,you should read that thread,if you haven't already..
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

this is what bozzhawg is talking about, martin is an internet expert point blank. if you read this you will see that this clown cant understand why his car wont go faster with more nitrous and is asking for help for his CAM!!!! 1 year later he is the most praised custom cam guru on the internet... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=490293
Are you saying folks can't learn in a year?

Let me ask you this... Compare YellowBullet to Tech. Just enlighten me for a moment, please.

Even if I was a cam grinder, or aspiring to be, why NOT post where the BEST OF THE BEST, day in, and day out, can give you thoughts and ideas on what they think may be suspect, or what you might be able to tweak.

When's the last time Greg Goode, Larry Meaux, Bill Briggs, Chris Frank... When's the last time they posted on here? No, I won't hold my breath. Because they don't. Because there's always someone that says "well so and so days this... So and so says that..." And they get sick of fighting the "Internet Knowledge"

Tech has become way to full of "I read it on the Internet" or "well my buddy..."

Sick of it. You assclowns need to pipe down, sit back, and LISTEN to the folks that have been there, done that, bought the T-****, wore that ************ out, and now use it as a shop-rag.

Yeah you're right. My name is green. I shouldn't talk like that... "You're a mod you can't talk like that"... Well, maybe some folks need some tough love. Point taken... But to counterpoint- as I said, we want REAL WORLD to post in here. Help others out. But yet a certain few choose to crucify someone that's doing exactly what this site was BASED off of... Helping your fellow man.

Next one that posts in here and acts like a **** gets the boot. Plain and simple. I'm sick of this ****.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can make some people happy some of the time, but you can't make all people happy all of the time.

IMO, if you have issue with someone please don't corrupt another members thread with your conflict, take it else where.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Subscribed
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Old School Heavy

This thread and ones like it inspired me tonight. So, I thought I would share this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...t-huggers.html
Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Are you saying folks can't learn in a year?

Let me ask you this... Compare YellowBullet to Tech. Just enlighten me for a moment, please.

Even if I was a cam grinder, or aspiring to be, why NOT post where the BEST OF THE BEST, day in, and day out, can give you thoughts and ideas on what they think may be suspect, or what you might be able to tweak.

When's the last time Greg Goode, Larry Meaux, Bill Briggs, Chris Frank... When's the last time they posted on here? No, I won't hold my breath. Because they don't. Because there's always someone that says "well so and so days this... So and so says that..." And they get sick of fighting the "Internet Knowledge"

Tech has become way to full of "I read it on the Internet" or "well my buddy..."

Sick of it. You assclowns need to pipe down, sit back, and LISTEN to the folks that have been there, done that, bought the T-****, wore that ************ out, and now use it as a shop-rag.

Yeah you're right. My name is green. I shouldn't talk like that... "You're a mod you can't talk like that"... Well, maybe some folks need some tough love. Point taken... But to counterpoint- as I said, we want REAL WORLD to post in here. Help others out. But yet a certain few choose to crucify someone that's doing exactly what this site was BASED off of... Helping your fellow man.

Next one that posts in here and acts like a **** gets the boot. Plain and simple. I'm sick of this ****.

i 100% agree with you, internet experts definitely ran off most of the smart guys on most of these sites...real world observation over the last 10 years.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what bozzhawg is talking about, martin is an internet expert point blank.
if you read this you will see that this clown cant understand why his car wont go faster with more nitrous and is asking for help for his CAM!!!! 1 year later he is the most praised custom cam guru on the internet...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=490293
Do you realize how much experience one can gain in a years time? In a year of dyno testing on shop cars, customers cars testing on the dyno and track one can gain a ton of valuable information, knowledge ,and experience. When you are doing all of that and obtaining knowledge and information from well established people like Brian Tooley you can learn a lot in a year or two.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Do you realize how much experience one can gain in a years time? In a year of dyno testing on shop cars, customers cars testing on the dyno and track one can gain a ton of valuable information, knowledge ,and experience. When you are doing all of that and obtaining knowledge and information from well established people like Brian Tooley you can learn a lot in a year or two.
Bingo!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread and ones like it inspired me tonight. So, I thought I would share this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...t-huggers.html
Darn good read there speedtigger.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Banned

lol read the title and it made me laugh because of another thread that I read about so called cam gurus. altho you could always take everyones specs that they gave you and average them out (yes I read that in the cam guru thread)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Thanks guys. I started another thread for that soliloquy so this one would not be derailed anymore than it was.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
As the title above states, I need some opinions on the ( 3 ) cam's below. I'll start by giving you some info on my car first.

Car is a 2001 SS that I am currently building a Iron Block 408. Compression is upwards of 11.5 to one.

Intake- Will either be one of the following Fast 90 with a NW 90 ( I already have this one, trying to sell it though ) or a Ported Fast 102 matched to my new heads.

Heads- are CNC ported TFS 235's with a little work done to them.
All forged bottom end, so it should hold up.

Trans- is a 4160E, with a Yank 3600,rear gear will be 3:73.

Exhaust- Will be TSP 1 7/8" SS with a 3" ORY connected to a Magnaflow Catback.

My car is not a daily driver so driving it everyday is not an issue. With that said I am looking for a good all around street car, that will make great power, be valve train freindly, and fun to drive. I have heard that the 408 will have good torque. This car will not be a weekend drag strip warrior, however I may take it to the strip every now and then, and or compete in a little local street racing. Not planning on any juice, ( at the moment ).

I have spoken with ( 3 ) guys and below are their recomendation's concerning camshafts. I was wanting to see what the Tech community thought about them good and or bad. I was told that the higher duration would deliver more all out power numbers but suffer some low end torque, and the lower duration would deliver more all out torque but suffer some power numbers.

1. 243/250 .624"/.615" 112+5 Recomended by a Tech sponser ( no names mentioned ) dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

2. 239/250 .621"/.595" 113+2 Recomended by a Tech sponser ( no names mentioned ) dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

3. 232/238 .625"/.625" 113+4 or 113+4 Recomended by the guy that is completing my short block assembly. dont know what the lobe design is it's supposibly a custom cam. Pros/Cons

4. 235/242 Lift .620/.610 113.0 +2 Lsr on the intake, and a Lxl on the exhaust, Already Have this one new in the box. but was told that this lobe design is a little on the ragged edge. Pros/Cons

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as it is getting time for me to pull the trigger on the new cam, as the shortblock is almost ready for assembly.

#1 & #2 will be great in a 408....
you cannot crutch the exhaust side of an Ls engine enough....it just does not hurt it in any way to have a big exhaust duration...
you cannot get the exhaust gasses out quick enough on an ls1...too small of exhaust ports for the size of intake port and volume of the cylinder

# 1 is better for a Single plane intake, # 2 is better for a stock style intake

#3 is WAY too small for a 408...it will be torquey as hell down low...but will fall off very early...if it were a truck needing a stump puller or a tow vehicle with a steep gear, this would be a great cam
but for your car......this is a bad choice and that person doesnt know about cams in a bigger cubic inch motor

#4 is a good all around cam...it will make power up into 6000 rpm, but not a lot past that.

Quick Reply: Cam Help ( Cam Guru's Please Come On In )