Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro SS Cam/Head Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS Cam/Head Swap

Hi guys, this is my first post on Ls1tech but I have been browsing for quite some time. I have a 2000 Camaro SS 6 speed with just over 120,000 miles. I have been wanting to do a Cam swap and came across a smoking deal on the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Ported Heads, Texas Speed Performance 228R Cam, and Ls2 timing chain. My car currently has SLP Airlid, K&N filter, SLP Y-pipe, and Magnaflow catback exhaust. Just wanting to get some advice on what I should upgrade when starting the swap... (Rockers, Lifters, Oil pump? Etc.)
What parts of the suspension should be upgraded first when finally installed?

Thanks guys. Any help is appreciated.

Daniel.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the forum the search tool is your buddy there are tons of builds with pics and advice. Keep the STOCK ROCKERS and do tru union upgrade so they don't spill needle bearing into your engine. Oil pump is good insurance with the miles. Valve springs will need to be changed for the higher amounts of lift in the cam. Hardened pushrods are also a common practice.

Long tube headers will also compliment the cam and heads.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

For sure longtube headers if you don't already have them. Stock rockers will suffice. If it were me, I'd also install a ported LS6 oil pump from TSP. Also, add a set of pushrods. Since the heads are coming off, and considering the mileage, new lifters and trays wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm going to assume the heads are assembled.

Are you still running the stock clutch? Don't forget to factor in the cost of a tune.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Welcome to the forum! An oil pump is an easy upgrade when you are all ready there doing the cam. Ported oil pumps are very popular in the LS worlds
You will definitely want to invest in some hardened/chormolly push rods with the cam and a good set of valve springs if they heads didn't come with any. Stock rockers are good, but most people upgrade them with the COMP Trunion Upgrade kit. We sell everything you need on our site (http://hubbardracinginc.com/shop/)

And as far as the oil pumps go, we are the only company (that I've seen so far) that sells a re-manufactured ported LS6 oil pump. They are low mileage cores, and the best part is they are only $80!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would do lifters/trays while youre in there as well as a comp trunion upgrade for the rockers. Also, make sure you measure for the correct pushrod length.

That setup is very proven and you should make good power with a good set of longtubes and y-pipe, get rid of that slp y pipe.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS Cam/Head Swap