Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power/durability from my LS1! help me make a parts list!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power/durability from my LS1! help me make a parts list!

Last year, 2 bolts broke right out of the cam gear, and one was left in but twisted in half. Probably mashed a few valves, not sure yet. Im building my shop now at my new house, haven't had any place else to pull the motor since it blew up.

My shop is almost done, so Im starting to put together a list of things I should buy for the LS1, I made 421whp and 400wtq on my last dyno run last year, not impressive enough really...

I have AFR 205 heads, they will likely be damaged, I hope the pistons are okay.. any thoughts on what to do with the heads when I take them to get fixed?

anyways, I was just curious to see what you guys think I should get to make the most power N/A that I can. I want to replace the cam I have with a big nasty cam, so im looking for suggestions on that, maybe sound clips.. and looking into timing gear/chain set, and maybe a lighter flywheel.. Already have the LS6 oil pump, but wouldn't mind upgrading that also... and Id like to upgrade/refresh all valvetrain.

If anyone can put together a list of things that are recommended to be quality high power making parts, thatd be great!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Since you already have the AFR 205's I would contact Tony Mamo. You are going to get your best bang for your buck and performance. AFR's like a little different cam profile compared to some other heads out there. what were the spec's on your previous cam?

If it's a street car I would stay with the stock weight on the flywheel. Just my .02
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If it's a street car I would stay with the stock weight on the flywheel. Just my .02
I agree, had to take out my Fidenza alum wheel out after 2 months and install the stock flywheel.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Diamond stage 2 clutch on a LW flywheel and it drives like stock. From what I've read the monster clutches drive well also.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I have a Diamond stage 2 clutch on a LW flywheel and it drives like stock. From what I've read the monster clutches drive well also.
FWIW I didn't like the light weight version and was much happier when I went back to stock weight but that's just me.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So don't go with a lighter flywheel?

And how do I find this tony mamo?

And any suggestions on parts I should buy? Valve train kits? Anything?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking to do with the car? I swear there is a thread like this every week. Light flywheel is a preference some people like and some hate. I personally like a lighter flywheel and a lighter twin disc clutch. How far you willing to go for all out power? You want to use all your old parts are you willing to sell it and buy new?

Quick Reply: Need more power/durability from my LS1! help me make a parts list!