Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Start My Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Start My Project

First to begin, I am new to the forums, I previously drove a 95 Z28 till I got into an accident. I want to move from LT motor to something with more power. So with the money I get back i'd like to start buying an LS motor, and probably drop it into a f-body camaro. (This will be a learning experience and a good way for me to pass time! Not to mention the power from building a motor ). I've been looking around with what I want to start with. All I want is a LS1 motor, that would of came from an f-body. But a lot of people on craigslist are overpricing them. I found one on Summit Racing (Link will be provided at the end). My Question is, is this the same block (Other than the 2 extra mains) as an LS1 block you would find from a 1998-2002 Z28/SS/Formula/WS6 ETC. And Would I be able to fit it into an f-body camaro?

If someone could kindly please tell me more information about this I would appreciate it. I'm not that entirely familiar with these engines yet as apposed to others.

Thanks!

Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...6/applications
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's not two extra mains on that block. All LS motors have 5 main bearings. The only differences among them are bore and stroke, among other subtleties. They're referring to 6-bolts - aka 6 bolts to secure each cap to the block. But yes that's the same block that came in F-bodies and the corvette for that matter. Only difference between the two are the accessory drives.

What are your goals power-wise? Will you be assembling yourself? Starting with a fresh block is the way to go IMO, too much possibility of opening up a pandoras box with a used motor when you go to get it machined.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pandora can't go back into the box, he only comes out!!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM

Pull an iron block 6.0 out of the wrecking yard. To many variables in aluminum.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Burken01
Pandora can't go back into the box, he only comes out!!
She...
Old 10-31-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol it's from Pineapple Express. He
Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
There's not two extra mains on that block. All LS motors have 5 main bearings. The only differences among them are bore and stroke, among other subtleties. They're referring to 6-bolts - aka 6 bolts to secure each cap to the block. But yes that's the same block that came in F-bodies and the corvette for that matter. Only difference between the two are the accessory drives.

What are your goals power-wise? Will you be assembling yourself? Starting with a fresh block is the way to go IMO, too much possibility of opening up a pandoras box with a used motor when you go to get it machined.
My plan is to build it myself, yes.

What I want to do is forged internals and a heavy cam, not sure yet, comp, maybe LSA?? hmmm (I love the sounds of Cam that's why I want to go bigger than stock). But here is the other thing, I've been brewing up the idea of twin turboing it. (My buddy has the headers he will sell to me) But I don't want to go crazy boost like 20psi - 30psi, I was thinking 12 max, till if I can, buy myself maybe the LSX bowtie block. I would also like to carb it but that will be a later decision after I get the internals and cam. I want to get maybe 600-700 hp.

Also My mistake on the 6 bolt main thing. I've been stuck with the LT1 motor for some time, which is a 2 bolt main, and I was told it was 4 bolt main on the LS1, so i believed it.

Quick Reply: How to Start My Project