Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After a long day of driving...knock knock knock

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Default After a long day of driving...knock knock knock

I've owned this T/A since new and it has always started knocking or pinging after a long day of travel. I'm talking 8+ hours of driving. It sounds like if the gas was 87 octane or something low but I always use 93. It never makes these sounds the next morning or even after a 4 hour drive, just long interstate or cruising days. Only 35k miles on this completely 'stock' machine, and like I said, even when the car was new with ultra low miles on it, it would make these sounds. You mostly hear it during acceleration. The car has been around for 12 years now but I just wonder what causes this. It's never a pleasant sound to hear. I used conventional oil at first and synthetic for the past 5 years or so. No difference. I also use Techron or Lucas products every so often to keep things clean.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines kinda the same way. I wouldent call me a knock but sometimes itll make somekinda noise thatll just make you say WTF is that. Ive tried different oils. Not much difference. Its been this way since it was new. I got the car from my parents so its been in the family since new. After the cam install and new oil pump it still has the same thing. I don't even worry about it any more. Back when it was new the dealer said it was piston slap so im just gonna roll with it. Its made it this far and is still together so its gonna roll until its had enough.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OP you can pop your valve covers off and take a look at your valve train!

My 114,000 mile original engine was making noises but still drove good and I popped the covers off and a rocker was laying sideways and the pushrods looked like a 7, I'm not saying its your problem but definitely worth a look..

You can start with this and cross things off and rule things out!! And it only take 15-20 min
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a scanner to see if it has excessive amounts of KR while the sound is occurring. It will help give you a avenue of options to look at if you do.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate the responses and advice but my skill levels don't exceed anything more than oil changes and similar maintenance. I doubt the engine would have mechanical issues ever since I drove it off the showroom floor. As I said, the engine has always done this but just after these rare very long days. I've talked to different mechanics and each one stated 'don't worry about it' unless an SES light comes on or the sounds don't go away. If I take the car on errands today there will be no knocking sounds, but I bet if I took a long trip to Raleigh and back, I'd be hearing those knocking sounds at the end of the day. Mostly curious to hear from others. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I appreciate the responses and advice but my skill levels don't exceed anything more than oil changes and similar maintenance. I doubt the engine would have mechanical issues ever since I drove it off the showroom floor. As I said, the engine has always done this but just after these rare very long days. I've talked to different mechanics and each one stated 'don't worry about it' unless an SES light comes on or the sounds don't go away. If I take the car on errands today there will be no knocking sounds, but I bet if I took a long trip to Raleigh and back, I'd be hearing those knocking sounds at the end of the day. Mostly curious to hear from others. Thanks!
SES lights don't tell the whole story..

Did you ever redline the engine prior to hearing the noises?

Run it super low on oil? I'm talking 3-4 qts low

I know I'm being extreme but its a possibility
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is making similar noises and was redlined by the previous owner and he bent a pushrod since then the pushrods have been changed. So now I'm stumped. I posted a thread with a video.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Burken01
SES lights don't tell the whole story..

Did you ever redline the engine prior to hearing the noises?

Run it super low on oil? I'm talking 3-4 qts low

I know I'm being extreme but its a possibility
Never low on oil, rarely even a quart low.
Sure, I've floored it sometimes but NEVER manually shifted through the gears, just let the A4 shift itself. I'm sure the car is made for some of this type driving without damaging itself. I hope so anyway.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't think it was anything serious but if you're really concerned you would need to start taking things apart to eliminate things it could be such as rockers, pushrods, lifter leak down; etc.

Quick Reply: After a long day of driving...knock knock knock