Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive crankcase pressure/high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive crankcase pressure/high oil pressure

Having some issues with my H/C ls1 I had done an oil change a few weeks ago like normal used same weight oil and after it was done I noticed my oil pressure picked up a little bit to about 50 psi (normally 40 psi cruising). I was out driving it the other day and took it to 6.5k rpm and noticed a huge puff of smoke come out of my exhaust got on it again and it did the exact same thing I also noticed my oil pressure was even higher now 60 psi cruising and 70 psi above 6k way to high! Took the car home checked my oil level it was normal I also noticed the sometimes normal coat of discolored oil on my oil cap from taking short trips and moisture being in the oil also my dip stock had popped out. So I figured what the hell my PCV valve was prolly stuck causing high crank pressure and high psi readings. So I changed the entire PCV system hoses included with a brand oem piece. At the same time I decided to clean my plugs and found oil on ALL the threads. Once again I attributed it to the PCV system. Took the car out again got on it and it stopped smoking but the oil psi was the same really high got home and saw once again the dip stick popped out. So I took it a step further and installed a oil cap breather since it's a weekend only car drove it again oil psi stayed the same but the dipstick didn't pop out this time. I know the stock oil pressure sensor has been known to be inaccurate but damn nearly 75 psi at WOT is not normal can it harm my motor? Am I missing anything here this makes no sense to me. Car has prc heads on it with less than 2k miles on them FWIW.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a compression check and a leak down test to see if your crank case pressure is from a blown cylinder.

As far as the oil pressure all of a sudden rising ??? But 75psi isn't going to hurt anything, my ported ls6 pump hits 75-80 psi an 6,800 shifts.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil temp and weight of the oil will make a difference more than anything. Crank case pressure will not mess with the oil pressure

Tim

Quick Reply: Excessive crankcase pressure/high oil pressure