Sponsored by:

Motor build opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor build opinions

Alright guys, tell me if im doing anything stupid here

So Since I live in utah, I obviously cant drive my car during the coming months so ive decided to take the next three months to build my motor. It used to be on a 100 shot but I sold the kit for a good deal.. anyway right now I have an Xpipe, Ziptie mod, Ported TB and a solid tune with 13.0 AFR. My car put down 362/365.. Dont ask me how cause I dont know how that number is possible.

Anyway My plan right now is a 230 duration cam or I might go with the 228R cam I had in my camaro which I thought was good for a daily driver car. Ive also heard good things about the streetsweeper SSHT cam.

I have the ability to buy a FAST 78mm for 350 with a TB or we all know I can get an ls6 for about the same price and probably have around the same power increase. First question. will a 78 be big enough for a heads and cam car? or will that be choke point in my motor

Im also planning on TSP longtubes, I can get my stock heads ported, polished, and milled for 200 and then im going to try and find a used Z06 axleback. also BTR dual springs and all the other stuff required with a cam swap.

My goal is 420whp and then id love to spray a 100 shot on top of that
could the stock bottom end handle that much power with spray? as long as my tune was on without detonation or would I be living on borrowed time?

I dont plan on spinning about 6500 rpm and I always clutch in after a hard pull rather than letting the motor slow me down on decel

Are rod bolts weak when it comes to power? or is it rpm that kills them.

Obviously I could spend thousands doing this with CNC'd heads and bla bla bla..

Im trying to be as cost effective as possible.
what would you guys suggest if anything from different from what ive stated
Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody?

So I have 3 options. Im planning for around 420whp NA.

Options are
1.Pull the motor and build it out of the car and do the rod bolts then

2. leave the motor in, find a way to hold the motor up and drop the cradle so I can access the oil pan.

3. Leave the rod bolts alone

I guess my question is, what kills rod bolts? is it RPM? or is it power? Seems more likely to me that its RPM

Also I dont plan on spinning above 6500 because its likely that my cam wont make power that high or my heads flow well enough for it to make any sense.

Also am I stupid for thinking I could probably spray a 100 shot later down the road on top of all that? as long as the tune was safe without any pre det?

Who is a good engine builder on here that can recommend some things to reach my goal
Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Call vengeance racing or tick performance there very helpful and can answer all your questions and can grind a cam to your needs.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Here is one i found a few months ago i thought bout doin my motor similar

Motor build opinions-forumrunner_20131210_142015.jpg
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Fast 78's are good manifolds a lot of people hate on them but it's basically the same shell as a fast 90 with a smaller opening you can also open up the mouth to 85mm in your own garage and they dyno within 5hp of the fast 90 in that form. I'm running one on my car and am very pleased. My advice port the 78 pick up a used 85 tb and find an 85mm truck maf unless you want to spend $900 on a 92/92 setup.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
Alright guys, tell me if im doing anything stupid here

So Since I live in utah, I obviously cant drive my car during the coming months so ive decided to take the next three months to build my motor. It used to be on a 100 shot but I sold the kit for a good deal.. anyway right now I have an Xpipe, Ziptie mod, Ported TB and a solid tune with 13.0 AFR. My car put down 362/365.. Dont ask me how cause I dont know how that number is possible.

Anyway My plan right now is a 230 duration cam or I might go with the 228R cam I had in my camaro which I thought was good for a daily driver car. Ive also heard good things about the streetsweeper SSHT cam.

I have the ability to buy a FAST 78mm for 350 with a TB or we all know I can get an ls6 for about the same price and probably have around the same power increase. First question. will a 78 be big enough for a heads and cam car? or will that be choke point in my motor

Im also planning on TSP longtubes, I can get my stock heads ported, polished, and milled for 200 and then im going to try and find a used Z06 axleback. also BTR dual springs and all the other stuff required with a cam swap.

My goal is 420whp and then id love to spray a 100 shot on top of that
could the stock bottom end handle that much power with spray? as long as my tune was on without detonation or would I be living on borrowed time?

I dont plan on spinning about 6500 rpm and I always clutch in after a hard pull rather than letting the motor slow me down on decel

Are rod bolts weak when it comes to power? or is it rpm that kills them.

Obviously I could spend thousands doing this with CNC'd heads and bla bla bla..

Im trying to be as cost effective as possible.
what would you guys suggest if anything from different from what ive stated
i spray a 150 shot on a stock 90K ls1 block. that bottom end will be fine. its more of the rpms that kills the rods. i dont take mine past 6500. i run a ls6 intake and tsp torquer v3 cam, put 407rwhp. its very doable.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jarren_b,

Give us a call when you get a chance and we would be more than happy to spec out a camshaft for your setup, as well as help you with any additional parts necessary for your build. Best of luck on the engine build!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The Fast 78 is better than the LS6, and that's simply too cheap to pass up. Power is made in the runners, not the TB opening. Years ago a Fast 78 and a Shaner S2/S3 was the bees knees.

You've chosen a solid cam, but if you're set on an FTI cam, get with Ed and he'll tell you if it's ideal for your setup.

RPM is what kills rod bolts. I spun mine to 6800 and never had any issues. If I could go back in time though I would have ponied up for the Katechs just for piece of mind.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I may have missed it but what year is your ls1 now? I'm assuming its the 97 if the sig if so I would def get a set of katech rod bolts and swap them whichever method you choose. If your car is an 01-up then the rod bolts should be safe to 6800 and slightly above.

One thing to keep in mind with cam selection is to know how you're going to use the car. A cam with more than 6-8 degrees overlap is probably going to have some surging issues even with a damn good tune. The SSHT is right on the 8 degree mark so it may have a slight surge.

My advice like whigham is to get with Ed or any sponsor of your choice and go over your needs and wants for the car and they can get you best setup.

Quick Reply: Motor build opinions