Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTV issue.

Went to clay my motor and my valves and pistons are definitely playing patty cake.

Motor specs:
LS1 stock block except for deck is shaved .010(no priror knowledge of the block before it was in my hands, so it's possible its' been decked before)
Stock thickness 5.3 heads (the heads are tsp prc stage 2.5 5.3L heads)
tsp ms3 cam ( 237/242 .603"/.609 )
tsp 7.400 .080 push rods
stock timing gears with ls2 chain.

Here's the deal, I know this is a pretty common setup, there's probably several guys in here running the same exact setup (minus hg and decking) on a stock block and never have an issue.

So here's my questions.
What thickness hg is known to work with this setup? (not including my shaving. I know I'll need to add .010 to it)
what other factors do I need to check? timing perhaps? could it cause an issue if it were off? where, and how can I check the degree of my cam?

I've been fighting this motor for nearly two years now, anyone who can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How are you checking, are you using the 7.400" pushrods? The pushrod length needs to provide zero lash. If the pushrod is not setting lifter preload then the valves will be open more than when the motor is running.

Can you provide the exact method you are following? It may just be how you are checking your PTV and not an actual issue with the setup.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

^^^^ What Nuts said.....
Check the deck hgt. That will tell you how much, [approximately], the block has actually been cut.
Where is the cam installed?
Valve springs are?

Quick Reply: PTV issue.